Male, 24, Athletic Subcutaneous Mastectomy 8 weeks ago. Gynecomastia returned. Why is that? What are my options?

Zero drugs (including Cannabis), Don't drink 1st time MRI & blood work done. Everything fine. Very perplexed as to why it had occurred, but went ahead with Subcutaneous Mastectomy. Unfortunately the lumps under the nipple has started to return. What are treatment options besides surgery? ex- Tamoxifen? What can cause gynecomastia that won't show up on an MRI & Blood Results? Doctor left a little breast tissue(lump) to prevent inversion of nipple. Is this correct & can this be the cause?

Healing From Gynecomastia Surgery & the Lasting Effects

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

The #recurrence of breast enlargement is uncommon following #gynecomastia surgery.
However, it can occur. If this happens, you may require further surgery in the future. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. Therefore, weight gain, steroid use,recreational drug use and have hormonal conditions can contribute to a return of gynecomastia regardless of previous surgical removal and treatments. Each patient is unique and previous #results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic.

Gynecomastia Swelling

It takes several months to see your final results. Sometimes over activity can cause swelling. See your plastic surgeon to see if this is simply edema. It would be unlikely that gynecomastia would recur that fast.

Eight weeks is still fairly early in your healing process.  I typical tell my patients to give this about 6 months before evaluating the final outcome.  Photos would be very helpful in address your questions.  I would suggest discussing your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Recurrent gynecomastia

Did you have a preoperative endocrine workup to rule out a hormonal condition?  It is possible that there is an underlying medical issue but without a full history, this is conjecture.