I have lost weight (7kgs) and my face's skin is more relaxed. I am 30. Is it possible to fix this? I look older

Hi, I have lost weight (7 kgs) and my face's skin is a bit more relaxed. I look like my age now (30). I would like if possible to look younger and fix the problem resulting from my weight loss. With injectables (e.g botox), what age can i expect to look like? Or would they have a stabilization effect only?

Facial skin tightening options following weight loss

Dear nooel:Congratulations on your weight loss! Below is a more in-depth description of general options. Consider the following for yourself based on your description:I wish you well! The process of aging is the passive inability for your body’s tissues to repair and regenerate themselves. The act of rejuvenation is to actively reverse and dynamically assist the repair of your tissues on a daily basis. When significant laxity exists, surgical skin and soft tissue redraping or lifting are required.  Facial Aging develops from the 5 different layers of the skin, fat, muscle and bone. During the first 20 years or so of life, the body genetically determines how to mature and repair a constantly changing “face” including all these layers (as it does elsewhere in the body). Thereafter it remains robust in repairing itself from injury but the accumulation of environmental, health and nutritional exposure will add to the passive inability for the body to care for itself after 30. This is when physical changes such as skin laxity, irregular pigmentation, lines and wrinkles and skin diseases occur. We now have many options to rejuvenate the layer or layers of the face which need care or stimulation to reverse the aging trend. 1. The top layer or stratum corneum of the epidermis is the rough, pigmented layer of the skin; creating most of the depth of the wrinkle. -Exfoliation is best for this using: -microdermabrasion, -Retin-A (ZO Obagi Skin Health System), which also renews and regulates improved function of the deeper epidermis, -Some lasers and chemical peels. 2. The second layer is the dermis which thins with aging. The natural collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid (which hydrate and toughen the skin) are thickened by the use of: -fillers (Restylane and Juvederm), or -Retinoids (ZO Obagi Skin Health System), which also renews and regulates improved function of the deeper dermal skin cells. -Sculptra properly managed is the latest sensation to stimulate firming and thickening of the dermis -Thermi RF is a non – surgical option. Use ThermiSMOOTH superficially or ThermiTIGHT  to tighten THE skin using a micro-invasive technique. 3.The next layer or fat also thins or droops with age and maybe: -filled (Restylane and Juvederm), fat grafting or -redraped (Silhouette absorbable suture InstaLift, short-scar, traditional, endoscopic face / neck / brow lifts / cheek) - LipoContouring of the face and neck with or without fat grafting may provide the balance and contour you seek without general anesthesia.  -CoolSculpting is a non-surgical option for to reduce the fatty fullness under the chin and has also improved the jowls and jawline contouring in our experience. -Silhouette InstaLift absorbable Sutures are now available for the minimally invasive lift of the fibrous soft tissues without surgical incisions. 4. The muscle which creases the skin into wrinkles and folds is weakened and rebalanced with -Botox or similar injectable muscle relaxers like Dysport or Xeomin.  5. Bone also undergoes a dynamic process of resorption, thinning and descent. Options for cosmetic enhancements include: -implants -structural fillers, particularly like Radiesse (bone mineral) -volumizing gel fillers like Juvederm and Restylane 6. Facelift, necklift and forehead lift are surgical procedures which include: -an incision along the periphery of the tissues -a suspension or re-positioning of the underlying soft tissues, and -a redraping of the skin with removal of skin excess. A sub-group to the facelift is the mid-face lift. This is used to detach the soft-tissues of the cheek which have descended, separated and lost volume and suspend them to the lower orbital rim. Generally, the fat pockets under the eyes are trimmed or added to the volume of the cheek and the eyelid skin is redraped.  Chemical peels and laser tightening are single, “static” attempts to “jump” the repair system into collagen formation. They should be performed every 3 months in order to achieve a more dynamic stimulation of the immune system.  Everyone needs one or more layered improvement and in personalized combinations to achieve their optimal result.  Please consider a Board Certified Plastic Surgery with the skills and talent and the non-surgical expertise to consult with. All the best!

Weight Loss and Face not so full

In my opinion I would try to do the PRP Vampire Facial, this will help build collagen to help tighten skin, reduce any fine lines or wrinkles you may have as well as even out skin tone for that fresh younger looking skin. Thank you for your question. I have included a link that may help you decide which way to go. Fillers, Vampire Facial etc.  

Weight loss affects the face

Unfortunately weight loss often shows up first in the face and can make you look tired or even sick looking. Fillers tend to be one of the best and safest options to improve your look. Best to speak to your dermatologist about where you'd benefit most from fillers.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Laxity in the face

Thanks for your question. This is a common problem for many adults post-weight loss and is difficult to advise without a photo. For this, an in-person consultation would be best as there are many options, both surgical and fillers, to help. Botox is more for facial contractions causing the muscles to be paralyzed to avoid creating further fine lines and wrinkles. Voluma may also help as it gives the cheeks a more pronounced look. Injectables do not dictate your age but help with the overall appearance of your skin. Younger skin tends to look brighter and smooth throughout, thus achieving an overall more youthful appearance.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

After weight loss

With weight loss come changes in the skin, soft tissue and fat around the face. These cause the cheeks and neckline to be less defined and one starts to see changes associated with facial movement.  Generally in someone your age, soft tissue fillers and/or neurotoxins(i.e. Botox, Dysport) can be helpful to re-balance the face, rejuvenate or lift it if there are certain areas of concern.  In addition, I like to make sure that all patients are on a skin care regimen that includes sun protection in order to maintain a healthy glow and a tight skin tone to prevent further appearance of aging.  Because all of these treatments are nonsurgical, it is important to seek out an expert who is board certified and specializes in injectables and minimally invasive treatments.  In your age group we usually aim for a very natural, subtle result.  You'll definitely look rejuvenated, but it's hard to tell what age you're gong to look like.  Best of luck.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treating facial volume loss with fillers

We commonly treat age related facial volume loss with fillers such as Voluma, Juvederm, Restylane, Sculptra, Restylane Lyft, and Radiesse. While in your case, the volume loss is related to weight loss rather than aging, I would treat it the same way. Botox is great for treating dynamic wrinkles related to muscle contraction. Fillers are able to treat laxity and sagging related to fat, collagen, and bony loss on the face. I recommend you see an experience injector for an in-person consultation.

Treating volume loss

Thank you for your question nooel. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. As we age we naturally lose volume in the face and with gravity structures go downward. This leads to the appearance of nasolabial folds, marionette lines, and jowls. With weight loss these changes can be even more apparent. Botox may be used depending on the concerns. But volume replacement is usually performed with fillers such as Voluma, Juvederm, and Restylane. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Facial Deflation after Weight Loss

Noel,   It is not unusual for some people to experience similar outcomes after weight loss. Photos and physical exam would help.  7 kilos may not seem a lot, but if you are petite, it can cause your face to look deflated. Your options for correction include fillers or fat transfer. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Weight loss and ageing

First of all, congratulations on losing weight in a healthy manner.  Volume and fullness are traits associated with a youthful looking face, and an ageing look can often be a side-effect of weight loss.  Dermal fillers such as Restylene or Juvederm can be used to restore volume to your cheeks, nasolabial folds, and tear trough areas.  These products are a great, minimally invasive and safe way to restore a youthful and refreshed look.  I try not to use the goal of looking a certain age but to try and achieve a refreshed and youthful version of the patient.  Also, 30 is the time to begin a skin care regimen that can protect and maintain your skin quality.  Go for it.  Good luck.

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Losing weight often shows in the face

Volume loss in the face is often a side effect of losing weight. This will age the face. Volume replacement will reverse this problem. If large volumes are needed, I like to use Sculptra. Other fillers which can be used are Radiesse, Lyft, and Restylane as well as Bellafill. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD