With losing 85 pounds, would January 2017 be a good time to have my plastic surgery makeover? (Photo)

I am 85 pounds down after bariatric surgery my BMI is now 30.2 I want a mommy makeover and a medial or vertical thigh lift. When would be the best time to have these procedures done after losing the weight

Surgery after major weight loss

Thanks for your question and a BIG congratulations on your amazing weight loss.   You have done very well.  I would suggest waiting for at least 6 months to be sure your weight is stabilized.  If you lose more weight it after surgery, it will ultimately effect your result.  So, keep up the good work and once you remain at the same weight for 6 months, visit a board certified plastic surgeon and set up your surgical plan. Wishing you the best.

Surgery timing

Congratulations on your weight loss! The best time to have surgery is when your weight has stabilized for at least 3 months and when you are as close to your ideal body weight as possible.  These two factors will allow the surgeon better control of the tissues and therefore your results.  Visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn more about these procedures.

Camille Cash, MD

Best time for procedures

I would suggest scheduling a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon when you are within a few pounds of your goal weight and have maintained this weight for 3-6 months.

Audrey Klenke, MD
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.
For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.
Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Thigh lift and tummy tuck after major weight loss

Thank you for asking about your thigh lift and tummy tuck.
  • Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • January 2017 would be fine if you are at your goal weight and have stayed there x 6 months. 
  • If you are still losing weight, then do not have any surgery until you reach you goal weight and stay there for six months. 
  • Why? If you lose more weight after surgery, your result will get loose.
  • If you can't maintain your weight, your body will gain weight and the result of surgery will be lost.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Weight loss before surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

With losing 85 pounds, would January 2017 be a good time to have my plastic surgery makeover?

Congratulations on your successful weight loss thus far ; you are wise in achieving your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding. Ideally, you will have maintained this weight for 3 to 6 months prior to the date of surgery. 
Select your plastic surgeon carefully and communicate your goals carefully as well. Make sure that you also learn about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and achieve a sense of realistic expectations as well. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

January surgery

Thank you for your inquiry. I think that January would work well with your timing. Suggest that you get a consult with a surgeon with at least 10-15 years of experience with patients like you. I think you'll have a great result.Hope this helps.
Leland Deane MD FACSNYC, Garden City, Babylon, NY

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Good job losing weight

Keep losing weight. Have your weight then stabilize and speak to a plastic surgeon about the surgery. Don't set a date until after speaking to a skilled surgeon. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Mommy makeover

Hello and thank you for your question.  Congratulations on your weight loss.   Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  A breast lift can be done at the same time for improved shape and contour of your breasts.  You also appear to be a good candidate for a thigh lift.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD