Loose skin after a tummy tuck 3 months ago. Is this normal & can I fix it with exercise or do I need more surgery? (Photos)

I just want to know if with exercise I will be able to fix that loose skin or do I need to get Lipo to correct it .... I only have 3 months that I had a tummy tuck with Lipo

Skin Laxity After Tummy Tuck

At the outer limits of your tummy tuck incision there was very little skin removed, and hence very little tightening.  Unfortunately, some people need skin remove around their hips towards the back over their buttocks. This may be an option that might interest you someday. In the mean time diet and exercise with the express goal of getting leaner may not tighten skin, but your overall appearance may improve anyway.  Best of luck. 

3 Months Post- Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent tummy tuck procedure.  

From the photos that you included with your question, it appears as though you have a very nice cosmetic result.  Upon sitting, I do see the 'loose skin' that you are concerned with, however, I believe that this skin may be just the normal skin folds that we all get while seated.  It is possible that upon a physical exam, there might be some extra skin that could be quickly addressed, but I would caution you from judging your results too soon, as you are still fairly swollen and early on in your recovery.  

Unfortunately, the only way to address loose, lax, or excess skin is to surgically remove it.  Liposuction will not help with excess skin and neither will diet and/or exercise.  With that said, I would encourage all patients to partake in a healthy diet and exercise regimen, especially those who have undergone a tummy tuck procedure, to help improve upon a surgical result.  

Follow up with your operating surgeon to discuss your concerns.  Best of luck with your recovery!

Loose skin after TT

Thanks for your question. By three months most of your swelling should be gone. Are you wearing compression garment? Unfortunately neither  exercising nor liposuction will correct "loose skin."  If your loose skin still bothers you in a few more month you should discuss your opinions with your surgeon. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

3 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (3 months post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for the question and photos. Congratulations on having a tummy tuck and good results. What are seeing while sitting is normal and it appears different while standing. It is always great to enroll in a great fitness program. I would recommend to discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Loose skin after tummy tuck

There is always some bulging when sitting. If you already had liposuction with your tummy tuck, it may take longer for swelling and final healing.

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended.

Skin roll

You can not expect that when you sit down that you will not see skin roll over a bit. This is normal. If it was not a bit loose in this position then how would you expect to stand up straight.

Skin after tummy tuck

You need to remember that skin needs to accommodate various body positions. When you stand up the skin is on stretch, when you sit down, the skin folds to accommodate lower tension. There will definitely be some contracture, but the skin cannot be so taught when you sit down, as to prevent you from standing up straight! Follow up with your surgeon and follow their recommendations. Good luck!

Early result...

Hang in there...it's still early after your recovery.

The surgical site will get better.

Good luck to you.

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after a tummy tuck 3 months ago. Is this normal and can I fix it with exercise?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I know waiting is difficult but at 3 months from your procedure you still have a fair amount of swelling and healing that will need to resolve before seeing your long term results.  I would be in favor of you waiting a full year before assessing the need for any revision work to be performed.  Hope this helps.