How long will a small amount of Voluma (1/2cc) last in each cheek?

How long will 1/2 CC of volume last in each cheek? Is there a medical test or a way to detect if the Voluma is being absorbed (not just by looking at the face or feeling for the filler lump etc?) I know they say up to 2 years but is it possible for it all to metabolized before that time? I am hoping it will be sooner. If anyone has had experience with this please kindly reply!

Voluma Duration

There is no test that will determine how long Voluma will last in your face. However, 1/2 syringe is a very small amount, and less than I would normally inject to see a good result. There is a critical level needed to achieve the 18-24 month duration, and I would say your amount that was injected will not last 2 years. One syringe per side is the minimal amount I would normally inject.

Fort Lauderdale Oculoplastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Voluma is intended to last two years but will start to break down toward the end. We normally suggest one syringe per cheek for a true visual result. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a treatment plan for optimal results.

Thank you for your question.  Once the Voluma is placed, your body will start to slowly metabolize, or break-down, the product.  It is possible that they Voluma is absorbed within two years, but there is no test to identify whether any Voluma remains, outside of gauging your appearance.  Hope this helps. 

Juvederm Voluma is unique in that the HA is cross-linked through a process called Vycross that helps provide an excellent lifting capacity. This special cross-linking also helps to avoid degradation, making Voluma last almost twice as long as other fillers. Studies have shown that it can last up to 2 years.

Robert A. Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Small amount of Voluma

Voluma will last 1-2 years, in my experience, no matter how much is injected.  The real questions you are probably asking is, once the swelling goes down after a week or so, will 1/2 syringe be enough for you to see a difference.  Most patients do not see much difference with 1/2 syringe.  

Discuss your needs with your PS and make sure you have a good understanding of the treatment.

Evereyone metabolizes at different rates.  It is possible that such a small amount of Voluma will not last the full 2 years.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Voluma duration

Voluma lasts up to 2 years based on the clinical studies.  The amount of product needed to produce a certain outcome though will vary.  In other words, as the product is slowly metabolized you may not see the same result over time.  If you are unhappy and want the product removed it can be dissolved by injecting hyaluronidase.  

Camille Cash, MD

Voluma Duration

Clinical studies suggest that voluma can last up to 2 years. However, like other hyaluronic acid dermal fillers, voluma can be reversed with hyaluronidase if you do not desire the result. Voluma is an advanced injection and should only be performed by an experienced and expert board certified physician injector.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Voluma and length of duration

Voluma can last anywhere from six months up to two years.  Since you had a small amount of Voluma injected in both cheeks I would not expect the effects to last more than 6 to 12 months but it also depends on your facial anatomy.  The first two weeks after injections there is some swelling.  If you had the Volyma injected a long time ago and you want it removed you should consult someone to have Vitrase injected and have the Voluma dissolved.

Duration of Voluma

Studies have shown that Voluma is found in the injected areas with serial biopsies for two years.  After that time, there will be a little more of your own connective tissue proteins in the injected areas due to stimulation of the cells that make these proteins by the injections, but the Voluma itself will be gone.

If you are not satisfied with the effect, there is no reason for you to have to wait it out.  Please see your board-certified, advanced injector with lots of experience. I am confident something can be done to improve your result!

Sheryl D. Clark, MD