How long after a tummy tuck can you get a tattoo over the scar?

What is the rush?

It takes sometimes ;up to two years for the scar to completely mature. Often it is barely visible, so there would be no need to tattoo over it. give nature its time to mature the scar. speak to the surgeon who operates on you and have him follow the scar's progress.

Tattoo

Thanks for your question. I would advise you to check with your physician on this issue, as we all have our preferences. The usual amount of time suggested is 1 1/2- 2 yrs. to be sure the scar is completely healed prior to tattooing. As one of the other physicians stated, after 2 years and final healing, the scar may have faded sufficiently you may not feel it needs tattooing. Best of luck.

Tattoo ink and tummy tuck scars

Since tattoo ink is not sterile, its reasonable to wait at least 6 months after a TT to ensure that you're completely healed with good scar quality before getting a tattoo. 

A year

I'd say about a year just to be on the safe side. Your scar should be matured by then. If it's still pretty red and raised, then you should wait longer.

Tummy Tuck

Wait at least a year after a tummy tuck to get a tattoo. You may find that you have a nearly invisible scar. This could influence your decision about a tattoo. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tattooing over scar

Scars mature over a two year period. During this time the use of laser and massage can help. I would wait at least 12-18 months to have the area tattooed.  Best of luck.

Weight at least a year before tattooing over a tummy tuck scar.

Studies have shown that all scars stay pink for the 7 months.  Final scar maturation takes 2 years.

My concern is that if you tattoo your scar will it is still healing you may cause hypertrophy or other problems with the scar by adding the inflammation of the tattoo and tattoo ink.  I would recommend waiting at least 1 year.

Tattoo over tummy tuck scar

My advice would be to wait until you have achieved your end result and all swelling has subsided. This can take up to 8 months in some patients.  

Tattoo and tummy tucks

Thank you for your question. I would recommend waiting a year after a tummy tuck to get a tattoo over the scar from  an abdominoplasty. It takes about a year to know what the final result of the scar will look like and tattooing may lead to a more prominent scar if done too early. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo scar of TT at one year

I would encourage waiting till one year when all is healed.   There are some that can go earlier but not many.  So take good care of your scar and get it perfect and generally no tattoo is needed unless you really want one.   My Best   Dr C