Can a "liquid lift" generally done with voluma or radiesse also be done with good results using a fat graft?

Can a "liquid lift" generally done with voluma or radiesse also be done with good results using a fat graft to the cheeks, under eyes and prejowl? Will it lift along with add volume the same as a filler?

Liquid versus fat.

Thanks for this important question. The "liquid" part of the facelift involves using FDA approved off the shelf products that are generally done in the office under local anesthesia. These are attractive to patients who often see surgery as too aggressive and opt for something not involving surgery. Fat grafting requires surgery and some form of anesthesia with the longer recovery that is generally associated with these operations. All patients should carefully consider the pros and cons of choosing to go under the knife or not by choosing a the "liquid" facelift.

Best, Dr. ALDO :)

Fat in the right places

In my hands fat grafting gives even better results than the synthetic fillers. This is for 2 main reasons. # 1 it is a more natural grafting material so it has similar mobility and tactile feel to your natural tissues. # 2 We also transfer growth factors and stem cells along with the fat. This gives the added benefit of rejuvenating the skin and dermal tissues. 

Fat grafting replaces lost volume. So it does give a lift in that sense. Similar to fillers it augments the tissue which then decreases shadows. Think about a tent. If you were to put a bunch of sand under the tent then the tip would actually be lifted and the only thing you did was add volume under the tent.

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, fat grafting offers, in my opinion, more versatility and better results, especially around the eyes.

The attached link provides more information.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Liquid Face Lift

A liquid face lift refers to fillers and Botox and products such as Sculptra, Juvederm and Voluma with excellent results.  Fat grafting has terrible problems associated with it and cannot be repaired once it is done.  Please consult an expert in cosmetic facial fillers who is a board certified dermatologist.  Best, Dr. Green

Liquid face lift

Thank you for asking about your liquid face lift.

A liquid face lift adds volume to the face. The volume can come from filler or from fat. In general, the off-the-shelf fillers will work as well as or better than fat. The problem with fat injections is that results are unpredictable and poor ones hard or impossible to correct. With fillers, results are predictable and bad results can, if necessary, be dissolved.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Fat Grafting

Absolutely.  Fat is an excellent filler and offers more permanent results than hyaluronic acid fillers.  I use fat as a filler when I am performoing facelifts on patients who require additional volume or with eyelid surgery.  Fat will resorb to some extent.  That is, some of it will go away and it is hard to predict exactly how much will resorb.  So, secondary fat injections are often necessary.  There is also a donor site or area where the fat is harvested that you dont have with fillers.  

I usually recommend that patients who are considering fat injections, do other fillers first.  It is a good way to gauge if the patient will like the fat and how much thhe patient wants filled.  Sculptra is another filler that is an office proceedure and the Sculptra can last several years.  As the others have said, talk to your surgeon about all the pros and cons of various fillers.

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Can A "Liquid Lift" Generally Done With Voluma Or Radiesse Also Be Done With Good Results Using A Fat Graft?

Thank you for your excellent question.  Fat grafting is certainly an option for restoring age-related facial volume loss and providing a lift.  Fillers offer immediate results with little to no downtime.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Please be sure to see an experienced plastic surgeon to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Can a liquid lift typically done with Voluma or Radiesse also be done with fat grafts?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Fat grafting can be substituted for dermal fillers to restore soft tissue volume and provide a lift to the surrounding tissues.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon for an in-depth evaluation and discussion of your best treatment option.