Can I liposuction voluma that won't dissolve?

i tried somany times to dissolve voluma, 12 times, improvement negligible. it is lumpy and i can see exactly where it is, it just cant be dissolved. it makes my face asymmetrical and i have a diagonal lump. can it be liposuctioned?i let my tissues rest, but it does not work. it is really product.

Check for Granuloma

I’m sorry to hear about your negative experience with Voluma. If you have tried to remove the product with hyaluronidase, then it’s a good chance that this is most likely not excess product. It could be a granuloma. If this is the case, steroid injections may help, and if it doesn’t, surgery would be necessary to have it removed. Liposuction would be ineffective. 

Voluma Lump

Voluma is a deep filler often used to improve the soft tissue contour over and under the cheek bones. Injection of Voluma into the superficial soft tissues can have unintended effects. Improvement can often be achieved by removing some of the Voluma with Hyaluronidase. Persistent contour deformities may be the result of a granulomatous reaction (abnormal response of the body to the filler) that can often be addressed by steroid injections into the area. Surgical excision may be an option for very resistant cases; however, the surgical deformity can be significant.  A detailed examination will help delineate the best option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction - will it remove Voluma?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and voluma.
  • Liposuction is not a good idea - because it is unlikely to work.
  • If you have a lump you can see that can't be dissolved you may have a cyst or granuloma.
  • These need to be removed with surgery -
  • Please see a plastic surgeon to have this evaluated.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS