Would Liposuction or SmartLipo be best for neck fat removal and skin tightening?

Male on late 30’s, good skin tone, slender, but with small amount of fat beneath the chin/along the jaw line, which a want to remove. Also want some skin tightening. I’m afraid traditional liposuction of chin/neck can cause a little loose skin. I read that SmartLipo has the added benefit of the laser, which helps stimulate collagen formation, tighten the skin, therefore making the skin recoil back after the fat is removed. Is that true? For minor cases like mine, which option would be better?

Try Smartlipo To Tighten Skin

Smartlipo does a very nice job of providing skin retraction on the neck and arms.  I like using it very much.  There is no question in my mind that it actually does help to tighten the skin - especially for small areas with thin skin like the neck.
I'm attaching a link to one example in particular. 

Liposuction of the Neck

There is no difference between the results of smart lipo and traditional liposuction for a 30 year old man with a small amount of fat. The total cost of liposuction of the neck is $4100 which includes the Board Certified Surgeons fee, Board Certified Anesthesia fee, and Medicare Approved Surgicenter fee. Best wishes.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Neck liposuction and skin tightening

In most healthy patients, especially younger ones, the skin retracts very well without any ensuing looseness after a liposuction procedure. If you are worried about loose skin following liposuction, there are devices available which can be used at the same time to help tighten the skin further, such as CoolLipo or ThermiRF.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Improving neck and jawline contour with liposuction

Traditional liposuction will remove excess fat below the skin (subcutaneous) and, when performed properly, will result in some tightening of the overlying skin as the tissues heal and contract.  Because traditional liposuction is more traumatic and can result in more bruising and swelling, we prefer to use ultrasonic (Vaser) or laser (SmartLipo) for contouring of the face, neck and body in most cases as they result in more significant skin and tissue retraction.
SmartLipo uses laser energy to break up fat cells and the controlled thermal effect can result in more skin retraction and less bruising than mechanical liposuction when performed by an appropriately trained and experienced surgeon.
Vaser ultrasonic liposuction uses ultrasound energy to disrupt fat cell connections and allow for removal of excess fat with less trauma and injury to surrounding blood Both methods depend on adequate contractile tissue in the neck and skin elasticity so it would be important to review your pictures in order to determine the best procedure.
As mentioned above, the training and experience of the treating physician as well as proper patient selection are critical to safe and optimal results.

Liposuction of neck

Liposuction of the neck can be performed using many different techniques. The smart lipo device is just now method to achieve this.

Smart lipo for fat removal around neck?

Hello and thank you for your question.
Without a photo or an in person examination there is no way to say anything definitively. With that being said if you do have a small amount of fat in the submental area, and good skin elasticity, traditional liposuctionshould be a good option for you. I perform the procedure with and without the laser, and being honest, there can be downsides to using the laser so I certainly do not recommend it unless I feel the patient will gain something from its use. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.
Best of Luck to you!

Both systems will work

Hi.  Other than marketing hype, there's not much proven advantage to one machine over another in your situation.  Better to pick a surgeon who is skilled in liposuction, and let them use the technique that gives them the best results.  You should be able to get a nice result with either laser assisted liposuction, ultrasonic liposuction, power assisted liposuction, standard liposuction or water jet liposuction.

It's not the hammer that makes the difference, it's the carpenter.

Chin Lipo

If you are young and have good skin elasticity,many different machines can produce a good result.See my photos on this site for a great result without laser.Laser lipo is fine, and will deliver nice results in the proper hands,but I personally feel  the skill and experience of the surgeon is more important than the actual device used.

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Smart or regular lipo under chin

At your age, neck skin will tend to retract nicely and standard tumescent liposuction should be sufficient and certainly less costly. It can be performed in an office setting under local anesthesia or with intravenous sedation.  The laser liposuction modalities are hyped a great deal by the manufacturers but with mixed results. Ultimately, the best modality is a highly skilled and experienced surgeon! Best wishes.

Liposuction alone would be enough!

I have performed both SmartLipo and regular liposuction for the anterior neck under your chin.  Routine liposuction at your age is all that you would need, and you can do this under a local anesthetic.  Adding the laser component does not improve outcome, in my experience.  I would advise you to see a board certified plastic surgeon to get an honest opinion.  Good luck!