Will liposuction of very large calves leaves excess skin?

I have very large calves after losing a lot of weight in the past. I had an MRI of my lower extremitis and it showed more fat than muscle in my calves. My doctor said I would be a great candidate for liposuction on my calves. I'm afraid, however, that I will be left with loose skin on my calves after the liposuction is performed.

Loose skin after calf liposuction

Thank you for asking about your calf liposuction.

• You are right - extensive calf liposuction, especially after weight loss, can leave the skin loose.
  • Without an examination, one can't tell you what to expect from your liposuction.
  • If your doctor is not a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, please consult one to do your surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Calf Liposuction

It sounds like you are a good candidate, and while it is difficult to predict how your skin will react after surgery, the calves usually do pretty well. Also, expect swelling to last longer than usual after liposuction of the calves because of the location. I warn my calf lipo patients to be prepared for a longer recovery regarding swelling, but when it does resolve, the results can be quite pleasing. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Liposuction of the Claves and Loose Skin

I suggest only going to an expert for this area to be treated.  Sometimes more than one procedure is needed on the calves to get the best in contouring and shaping.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction of the calves

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to determine how much fat you have in your calves but liposuction of the calves usually doesn't result in loose skin. Ideally an in office consultation will give you more specific advice to assess your skin quality and amount of fat. 

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Calf liposuction

You would have to be seen in person to be properly assessed.  The calf skin is usually pretty good and in most cases does well.

Liposuction

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD