Do you think I need a lip lift? (Photos)

I'm having my hanging columella corrected in Jan. However after this do you think I need a lip lift ??? Current philtrum is 17mm. Worried after nose tip adjustments it will look massive...

Lip Lift

Thank you for your question. It is great to hear your treatment strategy to begin with the Rhinoplasty and follow-up with the lips. You should discuss your recovery expectations with your surgeon. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip lifting after rhinoplasty

Ceri1986 - you are correct in asserting that adjusting the nose can affect how the upper lip will look, particularly when you have a procedure that addresses your hanging columella.  I agree with the assessment from the other surgeons - it is very safe and extremely sound.  Have your nose done first, let things heal and settle over the span of 6 months.  Once that has healed you can then go on and address the upper lip as needed.  This can be done under local anesthesia.  Based on your skin appearance, you should heal very well.  Best of luck! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhino and the lip

This is a very insightful question. I teach resident surgeons in Chicago and many of them would not appreciate the changes in facial subunits that would be changed with rhinoplasty as much as you have shown. 

So I 100% agree with the other surgeon that recommend undergoing the rhinoplasty first and then seeing how things heal. It is always surprising how patients will heal. You have great skin with small pores so I assume you will heal well. At the point where the columella attaches to the face small changes can be made that give the lip a significant lengthening or shorting look.

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will I need a lip lift after my rhinoplasty?

Thank you for asking about your lip lift.

• It is possible that you may need a lip lift after your rhinoplasty but I do not think you should make a decision now.
  • Have the rhinoplasty and let it heal for six months.
  • If your lip looks too long or has lengthened, then a lip lift can be done in the office with local anesthesia.
  • Both the surgery and the swelling from surgery can affect the lip - so you can't reliably predict the effect in advance.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS