Which would you recommend; lip implants or fillers?

Hello, I have had lip injections before and find it a hassle to have to keep getting them done as they are expensive and don't last long. I am interested in getting a lip implant but was wondering if it will make my lips fuller and bigger as you tend to get with Juvederm? I have seen reviews where people have gotten a lip implant, but once it settles there is not much of a difference and overall fillers are just better. Is a lip implant worth it? Which one is the best to get for a fuller pout?

Fillers

You should start out with maybe 1cc and go from there. You do not want to overdo too much filler in the lips. It also depends on the look you are going for too. You can always add more filler to the lips if needed. Just remember if you are going to do your lips and you do not want to bruise you should not take any aspirins or anything that will thin the blood since brusing can occur

Lip Fillers are preferred

I have been injecting lips with fillers for over 20 years.  I would definitely recommend that you have lip fillers and not lip implants. I have seen too many lip implants that were not done properly or move and change as our face ages.  With so many good hyaluronic acid fillers to choose from now such as Juvederm and Restylane, there is no reason to have implants performed.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip augmentation

I do not like implants for lips. I prefer fillers or fat. I have even used soft tissue from facelifts to augment the lip as well.

Thank you for your question. Although fillers are a temporary solution to achieve fuller lips, they do provide the best, most natural outcome. Lip implants are permanent – but they are not recommended because they are not natural to the touch, and are not aesthetically pleasing when individuals make certain facial expressions. Fillers such as Belotero, Juvederm or Restylane Silk are recommended fillers for achieving fuller and soft lips. This procedure has no downtime and the results can be very subtle.

Ariel Ostad, MD

Lip Augmentation - Fillers or Implant?

Personally, I feel that implants for lips are not a great idea. Are there good results out there? I'm sure there are some, but there can be problems with them, causing irregularity, funny animation wrinkles, etc. And, of course, there is the risk of infection. I think either filler or fat is the best choice. None of these are permanent, but that can be a good thing. 
Think very hard about it before getting anything permanent (even if it can be removed). It will be in your best interest to get something like filler or fat.

Lip Fillers or Implant?

I appreciate your concern, but I have removed too many lip implants over the years placed that shifted or moved and caused deformities to recommend implants. Fat transfer is your best option if you don't want to continue with Juvederm as studies show that at least 1/3 of fat transplanted remains. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with lots of experience with lip enhancement. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD