Lifting after breast augmentation?

I had my surgery 12 days ago (under the muscle). I feel great. I'm trying to follow all instructions, but I'm not sure how I will know or what I will and should feel if I do something wrong and overload myself. Or do I feel something at all if I do more than what my body allows after surgery? Just an example: if I hold a baby (15 pounds) for half an hour, can this cause something even if I don't feel any pain and don't see any or bleeding and hematoma formation? Many thanks in advance.

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its early to talk about final results. 
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Activity Restrictions After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  It sounds like you are doing an excellent job of trying to be compliant with your plastic surgeon's postprocedure activity restrictions.  Because each plastic surgeon's protocol may differ slightly, I would advise you to clarify any activity restrictions directly with your plastic surgeon.  In general, I would say that as long as you are following the specifics of your plastic surgeon's postprocedure activity protocol, you are very unlikely to inadvertently cause any harm.  It is important to follow the instructions closely, even if you are feeling great, so that everything heals properly.  I recommend that my patients avoid bending and heavy lifting for 6 weeks after breast augmentation.  Best wishes! 

Liftng a baby

Each doctor may suggest different things. I usually allow patients to have the baby climb into their arms if they are big enough after about 2 weeks, but I do not want them lifting them out of the crib before that. Best to ask your surgeon.

Lifting after breast augmentation?

Each surgeon has their own post operative protocols that differ. This questions should be address by your chosen surgeon.

Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Lifting after breast augmentation?

Congratulations on your surgery. I am happy you are doing so well. It is best to follow strict guidelines given by your surgery. My best advice is to lift nothing over 5 pounds for first two weeks. You wont know you harmed anything until you have pain and then it could be too late. Discuss this with your surgeon and be careful.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I would be very careful with how much you lift during this stage of the healing process.  I tell my patients that they should not do any heavy lifting for six weeks following their surgeries.  Please discuss this with your operating surgeon as the protocol varies from surgeon to surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Lifting after breast augmentation?

Thanks for your question.  I advise my patients not to lift anything over 10-15 lbs. for 3 weeks following surgery.  Even if you don't feel immediate pain, you could still be doing harm by holding a 15 lb baby for a prolonged amount of time.  My advice would be to check with your plastic surgeon and see what he/she recommends or prefers.  Good luck!

Better Safe Than Sorry

At two weeks you will probably be fine.

We advise three weeks when you cannot pull a wound apart, for unrestricted activity.

The first ten days vascular budding and re-establishment of circulation is  occurring.  It is wise to avoid shearing forces during this period. 

Luis Villar, MD, FACS

Lifting after BA

Each surgeon will have their own thoughts on answering this question, so I can only tell you what I tell my patients. I'd like them to try and lift their children using their abdominal and leg muscles without placing tension on the pectoralis muscle. I also tell them, if it hurts,don't do it. Having said that, I don't think you could  significantly tear the pectoralis muscle without feeling a fair amount of pain or seeing some evidence of bleeding. Hope this is helpful congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Recovery from BA

Thank you for your question. I'm so glad to hear that you are recovering so well. I usually like to have my patients avoid lifting more than 20lbs for the first 3-4 weeks. I encourage a comfortable sports bra most of the day and during activity until fully healed. Your surgeon will release you to all activity when it is appropriate. I wish you continued success on your healing.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon