Kybella Vs. Cool Mini vs Lipo for chin. Shortest recovery time for best results? (Photo)

I have a family reunion in 7 and a half weeks,and I want to look my best! To get rid of the fat pouch under my chin I'm not sure if Kybella or the CoolSculpt mini will give me the results i want- or even a noticeable improvement- in time? I would do lipo but I don't wanna wear a chin strap thingie for a week! Plus scared of swelling/ bruising that might make me actually look worse before I look better! I'm 34, normal weight Can you recommend a solution based on my circumstances? xo Jess

I prefer Kybella in cases like yours.  Kybella can be injected in different amounts and tapered to give a very smooth result.  The CoolMini does work but basically relies of a fixed cooling piece and there is an all or none cooling effect which can leave a deficiency centrally and some lateral fullness where the fat was not treated.

Kybella Vs. Cool Mini vs Lipo for chin. Shortest recovery time for best results?

Hello JazzyJessica,

Given your timeline you won't notice much of an improvement with a single Kybella treatment, although you would likely see some benefit.  If you had more time then this would be a great option.  I am not the biggest fan of cool sculpting mini, but that is my personal preference.  Others may say you see a nice benefit with it.  I would actually recommend liposuction.  You have plenty of time for recovery, it is a single treatment, and you see an instant improvement.  There is some downtime but by two weeks as the swelling is almost all gone you would have close to the result you were looking for.  There is still a little swelling that would continue to go away and get even a better result.  As you mentioned, you do have some restrictions post op including wearing a strap, but that is a small price to pay for the long term benefit.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella versus Coolmini

You asked a very important question.  It really depends on how much fat you have under your chin which treatment would be better.  You have enough time to recover from either procedure but you may only be a candidate for Kybella if you have a small amount of fat.  Cool-mini is less expensive but you need a larger area of fat to freeze under the chin.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella or Coolsculpting mini

Thank you for your question. Both are very great options. We have both in our practice and will even use both for the same patient. Coolsculpting allows for a broad reduction of a given area and I may recommend someone with a fuller neck profile to start with this approach. Kybella allows for a more customized approach and can be used to sculpt the neck based on specific nuances of each individual (eg asymmetry). In addition, I find of the two, Kybella tends to result is some skin tightening.

Based on your timeline, either would be reasonable.  You should see an improvement with one treatment in time for the reunion.  However, I would reassess after the reunion to see if a second treatment could provide an even greater result.

Treatment options for submental fullness

Dear Jazzy Jessica:

In my opinion, you have plenty of time to recover from any of these options and all would give you a nice response in time for your event. In cases like yours, I actually prefer Kybella because the treatment can be directed exactly to the areas where you need reduction of fat, and because it is not invasive and would be less expensive. I believe you would see a significant reduction with one treatment and may not need to have a second one.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Thank you for your question and for posting a picture. You seem to be a good candidate for liposuction. You have enough time to fully recover and you would only need one procedure. Kybella is a series of injections that would treat the area, but does require a few treatments and you may not have time to get the desired results. You will also experience swelling with Kybella. The CoolMini is the least invasive but the least customizable and would also need several treatments. You should have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your circumstances and pick the best treatment based on your needs. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Great question, the invasive procedures have gotten a bad name over the last few years, I would recommend lipo with Thermi, I have done this procedure 2 weeks before a large event for patinets with wonderful results, the injection and procedure you asked about work but IMO the down time is more significant than lipo/Thermi, good luck!!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

In my practice VASER/Thermi Combination gives the best results but kybella can be used as an alternative non invasive approach.  Best, Dr. Emer.