Juvederm after silicone 30 years later? (Photo)

I had a small amount of silicone injected into my upper lip 30 years ago. Is it possible now to get juvederm injected into my lips to even out a bit.

Juvederm after silicone

Generally speaking, there should be no problem injecting a hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm years after silicone was injected. Best to see an experienced and highly trained injector such as a dermatologist.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm after silicone

You can try to even out the lip with HA filler after silicone.  However there is a chance that it can trigger an inflammatory reaction in the old silicone - and I have seen this is a patient.  You might be better off taking out the old silicone nodules as this can result in a much improved and smoother appearance for the lips.  Then could consider adding some volume with filler.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can Juvederm be injected following silicone injections

Thank you for the question. Juvederm can be injected following treatment with silicone. Make sure to see an experienced injector to achieve best results.  Good luck,

Juvederm Lip Injections -- Lip Augmentation with Fillers (Restylane, Juvederm) or Lip Implant or Fat

you can do juvederm after silicone if the silicone is not inflamed or irregular.  I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Complications Of Permanent Fillers May Appear Many Years After Treatment

First, let me say how sorry I am that you are experiencing this problem. As I have emphasized many times before in RealSelf and other venues, the problem with the use of permanent fillers is that complications, should they occur (regardless of whether they occur soon after treatment or even decades later), or even if the result is initially not entirely cosmetically acceptable, are not easily reversible and may be permanent. 

In a recent, August 2016 issue of Practical Dermatology, a professional trade journal, in an article entitled Point/Counterpoint: Is There A Role for Permanent Fillers, the author writing the PRO side stated the following: "Let me start by saying this: I am 99.9 percent against the use of permanent facial fillers." On the CON side, the author, who himself had once been a consultant for the Canadian branch of the company that makes Artefill, currently the only approved permanent filler (Silicone has never been approved for this use) wrote: "and many of us have years of experience dealing with the chronic and sometimes intractable problems that can result from the use of these fillers...Reactions to PMMA (the main ingredient of this permanent filler--parentheses mine) may not develop for five-10 years after the product is injected, and there is no way to predict who is at risk or to prevent these problems from arising." 

Enough said  Once again, I am so sorry that you are experiencing this and I urge you to be cautious in seeking any additional filler treatment, even natural hyaluronic acid based fillers, since there is a small, but real possibility that the injection of the Juvederm (or other fillers) in the vicinity of the silicon may trigger a greater inflammatory reaction that might be very difficult to treat. You might explore the option of having the permanent filler surgically removed if possible before considering any additional fillers to the lips. Wishing you all the best..

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Filler after Silicone injections

Yes, it is possible to add a hyaluronic acid filler to even the contour of your lips.  Both Juvederm and Restylane can be used depending on your preference. Keep in mind, they are temporary fillers that do require maintenance injections every 9-12 months.  Good luck!

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm into area of prior silicone

It is possible to jget Juvederm in this area. However, there is always a small risk of activating an immune response with this injection. It doesn't even need to be in the same area. It going to be fine a majority of the time. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Silicone in lips

Yes, it is possible to place fillers in the lips to better balance them.  Best of luck with your procedure.

Juvederm after 30 year old silicone injections.

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Depending on your desired goal appearance you can have JVD placed to help even out your upper lip appearance but I would also recommend lip reduction surgery to remove the silicone causing your current lip appearance followed by filler placement to achieved an increase in volume once fully healed.  Hope this helps.