Looking for more info on a Rhinoplasty and see if it is the best option for me (photos)

I love my nose amd features , just want it smaller ....is it possible

Nose surgery is a good option with clear expectations of your desired surgical result.

Hello, Alex:

I think you are starting with very realistic expectations from an aesthetic standpoint. It's good to hear that you love your nose and overall features and your clear goal is to make it smaller. Yes, that is often possible in rhinoplasty surgery. Specifically, reduction rhinoplasty is considered to be one of the most common types of nasal surgery. The goal of this rhinoplasty technique is to alter the shape of your nose to give you a nose that is more proportionate to your face. Typically, this procedure concentrates on nasal tips that are too long, bumps on the bridge of your nose or the narrowing of your nostrils.

In many post-operative rhinoplasty patients I often hear the following: 1) I have better facial symmetry; 2) I have a more flattering shape with my new nose; 3) My quality of life has improved. 

My goal with each rhinoplasty patient is to create a unified vision. If you feel that your nose is oversized it is probably causing you to feel that your facial features are out of balance. Rhinoplasty surgery can bring the nose into proportion with your smile, eyes and cheeks to achieve a harmonious facial appearance.

I would advise you to research your options and look for a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon. Board certification in facial plastic surgery matters. You are more likely to have a better result surgically with a more experienced surgeon.

I wish you the best as you explore your options to improve the appearance of your nose.

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Looking for more info on a Rhinoplasty and see if it is the best option for me

Dear Reader,
Thank you for your question.  Yes, you can refine your nose to make the appearance smaller.  Sculpting is an art and skill. 

Shumway Cosmetic Surgery offers Concierge Services for many out of state surgery patients.  Dr. Shumway is Board Certified in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive surgery and is also the 2016 President of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery!  We are located in La Jolla, California on the Scripps Memorial Hospital Campus.

Best of Luck!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish making the nose smaller. The bridge one can be shaved down to decrease the projection and remove the dorsal hump. Narrowing the nasal bones with osteotomies can accomplish narrowing the bridge line.  The tip can also be narrowed with a tip plasty. To narrow wide nostrils requires an alar plasty. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Subtle reduction rhinoplasty

A reduction rhinoplasty involves reducing the hump on the bridge, narrowing the tip and slightly reducing the nostrils (alarplasty). It can be accomplished with a traditional rhinoplasty. 
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

I think that you need to be seen in person to review what your goals are with surgery. Once that is determined, a plan can be  created.

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if the size of your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would worthwhile.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

If you are ambivalent about undergoing the procedure after having plastic surgery consultations, I would suggest that you not have the procedure until you are sure that you want to do it.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any further treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

From your photos you appear to be a candidate for rhinoplasty. This could help refine the tip and bring the nose into better balance with the remainder of the face.

I would advise you seek out an in person consultation with a facial plastic surgeon to evaluate all your options.

Best of Luck,

Scott Shadfar, MD
Edmond Facial Plastic Surgeon