Should I get an implant? And what type is best? (photos)

I'm 30 years old, petite, 5'2" and barely 95 pounds, never had a baby. Although I do like the shape of my breast - round and perky. I always felt that they're tiny and looking prepubescent. So I've been thinking about getting breast augmentation. I haven't seen a plastic surgeon yet but I have started to read about options like saline vs silicone, round or tear drop shape, submuscular implant. I've added some photos.

Should I get breast implants? What type is best?

Good questions.  The answers to your questions involve subjective experience but here's my advice.  You have very nicely shaped breasts and should do very well if you choose to have reasonably sized breast implants placed that are not excessively large.  I would recommend partial subpectoral placement of smooth round mid profile or mid+ implants placed either through your underarm or nipple.  With your skin and nipple color I'd personally stay away from the inframammary incision but others will disagree.  Good luck and enjoy your results.  The video link above will provide some additional useful information for you.  Regards,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Implants candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In my practice for cases like yours, i recommend you change them for Cohesive Gel - Silicón Breast Implants with textured cover ("gummy bear implants".
They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and most natural appearance than Saline implants.
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Implants or Fat Transfer

Thank you for your question and for sharing pictures. You seem to be a good candidate for a breast augmentation. If you want to get implants, you should undergo Vectra 3D Imaging to "try on" several different implants and see what you like best. You might also consider fat transfer. During this procedure, your plastic surgeon will remove fat from another place on your body, centrifuge it and inject it to your breasts. This can give you about a 1 cup size increase. Either way, make sure you're working with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Should I get an implant? And what type is best?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  Ultimately, whether or not to undergo breast augmentation surgery is a very personal decision that only you can make, after careful consideration of pros/cons/risks/complications involved.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Breast augmentation

Based on your photos you may be a great candidate for breast augmentation with smooth round silicone implants placed under the muscle.  Ultimately, you'll need to visit a plastic surgeon's office for a consultation, and this will be the best place to have all your questions answered.  In order to get a qualified, ethical, and expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations, always have an in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Implants?

If. You want to be bigger. - implants are for you. I like smooth round over the muscle. You get a nice shape that augments your own breasts. Also I think silicone is the best-- shaped wont work for you .

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast augmentation

You look like an excellent candidate for a breast augmentation. Yes, there are many options, and depending upon your goals, certain ones may be better for you than others.  Best to be seen in person to discuss these options.  Good luck.

Breast Augmentation implant types

Deciding to undergo breast augmentation is a very personal choice and one that must be made solely by you. However, if you desire a fuller breast shape and increase in cup size an augmentation is the right procedure for you.  Looking at your photographs, I think you would be an excellent candidate.  I prefer silicone implants over saline because they feel more natural and there is less rippling effect. As for tear drop versus round, that is a choice that you have to make with a plastic surgeon during your consultation.  Lastly, I place all of my implants in the sub-muscular position because I feel it gives more stability and a better shape to the implant with lower rates of capsular contracture.  Take the time to meet with board certified plastic surgeons in your area for consultations, realself.com is an excellent start.  Best wishes.

Kenneth A. Godwin, DO
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photograph. You have excellent breast anatomy and if you decide to have breast implants you should be able to achieve an excellent result.  Fortunately because you have normal breasts it would be possible to place the breast implants beneath your chest muscle which has many advantages including better coverage of the implant and less chance of capsular contracture. In addition the incision for implant placement is best placed in the inframammary crease, the fold beneath your breast.  This allows better visibility for the surgeon and is associated with less chance of capsular contracture or hardening of the implant.

Both saline and silicone gel breast implants are FDA approved and safe.  Be sure to consult at least 2 plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of plastic surgery. For what it is worth, at a recent meeting of board-certified plastic surgeons a survey was done which revealed that 83% of the surgeons present use smooth, round silicone gel implants.  For more information please read below:

Implants

Smooth round gels under the muscle will give the fuller look you desire. Size and style would be based on your measurements during exam.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.