Implant Animation Risks Associated with Tuberous Breast Correction?

I'm concerned about very obvious animation, and have heard that tuberous or constricted-lower pole cases pose a specific kind of concern related to how the nipple connects to the muscle? Please advise. Is there anything that can be done during surgery to reduce animation? does 'dual-plane' reduce animation? do smaller implants make it less obvious? anything else? what about *healing*? what can I do or avoid to reduce animation? considering 200 mod+ silicone, periareolar incision. thanks

Animation and tuberous issue

Animation can occur anytime the implant is placed under the muscle. I prefer under the muscle for many reasons including that it provides more soft tissue coverage. Having a tuberous breast adds a mother dimension to the augmentation but does not lead to animation deformity in and of itself.

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. I think it may be helpful to understand what causes an animation deformity which is actually separate from the condition of a tuberous breast. An implant is used to increase cup size and is typically placed under the muscle. This can have an impact on the shape of the implant and breast each time the chest muscles are contracted. In small women, this can be very obvious and certainly disturbing to patients. The alternative would be to place the implant above the muscle. Concerns with this however, are a higher rate of abnormal scar development called capsular contracture and greater visible and palpable irregularities because of less coverage. To avoid this problem, the implant can be placed above the muscle but this can result in more visible and palpable irregularities, in addition to a higher rate of abnormal scar development which is called a capsular contracture. In this case, fat grafts can be used to not only supplement volume but provide additional breast coverage. This scenario is exactly described on the attached video that I encourage you to view. I would certainly discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in these matters. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Reduction of Animation

Every patient tends to have variability in the amount of animation deformity.  It is hard to predict, however if you not a body-builder (ie: you aren't flexing your pec muscles in the mirror or for photographers) then it shouldn't be a problem.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. If good technique is used and appropriate size of implants are chosen, the risk of animation should be minimal. The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD