What's the Ideal BMI and weight for a TT?

Okay Im 27 years old and always suffered from obesity , I had a gastric sleeve in may of 2015, I was 330 then , currently I'm 5'10 248 with a BMI of 37.2 , I wanted to get the TT procedure but wasn't sure if I needed to be at a certain BMI . Please let me know what's my best bet.

A BMI of 30 or lower and a healthy, stable weight are prerequisites for a tummy tuck.

A tummy tuck can remove excess skin and improve abdominal contours, and ideal candidates are men and women who have a BMI of 30 or lower. It’s also very important that you reach a healthy weight you are confident you can maintain before having a tummy tuck. Your current BMI of 37.2 puts you in a high-risk category, greatly increasing the chance for complications during a tummy tuck. What’s more, you’ll experience better results from a tummy tuck if you are within 10-15 lbs. of your goal weight.  Consider working with a nutritionist or trainer to devise a diet and exercise plan that can help you get within reach of your target weight. Best of luck to you.

Ideal weight for surgery

Thank you for your question. The ideal candidate should have a stable weight for around 6 months before surgery with a BMI lower than 30 to minimize risks during and after surgery and also to maximize results. The closer you are to your ideal weight the best your results will be. Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

A general recommendation for elective cosmetic surgery is to have a BMI under 30. That being said, we want you to be at a health, stable weight that you would be able to maintain post surgery. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

What's the Ideal BMI for a tummy tuck?

Even though it can be difficult to reach a BMI of around 30, reaching this goal is important for two reasons.  First, the higher your BMI, the greater your risk of complications after surgery.  Second, the results of body contouring surgery are limited if you have a high BMI because less body sculpting can be performed due to the amount of volume present.  Stick with the weight loss for now and good luck.   

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Reach Desired Weight and BMI Before Tummy Tuck

When patients have experienced extreme weight loss due to diet and exercise, #gastricbypass surgery, or #stomachstapling  or #lapband surgery, there will be excess body skin that needs removal. In order to correct this problem many patients will need a #TummyTuck surgery, #panniculectomy, or #abdominoplasty.   This is becoming a highly requested procedure among patients who wish to rid themselves of excess skin and tighten muscle in their abdominal area. This procedure can be beneficial for women with loose skin and stretch marks following pregnancy, and patients who have undergone significant weight loss.

If you are at your own desired weight then you should be ready for a procedure to help eliminate loose skin and whatever excess fat remains. Liposuction can be combined with your tummy tuck to help make sure of this. You should seek out a local board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to discuss which tummy tuck procedure would help reach your desired results. Good luck to you.

Hello dear, thanks for your post. Plastic surgery is most effective in people who are at or very close to their ideal body weight or patients that their BMI is not over 32. Weight loss is best achieved through diet and exercise however some patients may require a consultation with a bariatric surgeon or weight loss specialist before consulting with a plastic surgeon. 

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30. In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Ideal BMI for tummy tuck

Congratulatiosn on your accomplishment thus far! There are actually two questions to be answered: WHEN should you undergo body contouring surgery after a weight loss operation and WHAT should be your BMI? Second question first: ideally the BMI should be at or below 30 for the better results. You can have an operation with a higher BMI but your surgeon won't be able to create the most shapely figure while your BMI remains high. Regarding WHEN, you should demonstrate at least 6 months of stable weight once you have reached your goal weight. Plan to consult a Board Certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate a considerable amount of experience dealing with patient who had a similar situation as you do. 

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Ideal BMI

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Ideally, it's best to have your BMI under 30 in order to reduce risks of complications and optimize aesthetic results.  Under 35 at the very least.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

BMI for a tummy tuck.

Congratulation on your weight loss. Keep going till you get where you hope to be. You will have a safer and more gratifying surgery. Ideal weight doesn't alway mean rail thin. That is not realistic for most people. But you want to be at a reasonable and healthy weight. At 5' 10 " I would be concerned that your still not quite there yet. At your height I like to see patients below 200 unless they are crazy muscular.  The weight to do this will have to be determined together with your PS for your health and safety. Plug into a PS now to get a sense of timing and goals based upon a physical exam. I have included a link to FAQ below as well. hope it helps.

Good luck.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon