I have a weak chin line and double chin,what would be the correct procedure? (photos)

I am 29 years old and my bmi is 24. I am 1,79m ans 80 kg. What would be the ideal weight to have this gone or will I need a procedure done and if so what procedure. Thank you

The right procedure?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered.  You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin and Jawline

The correct procedure for you would be a sliding genioplasty and a neck/subkmentoplasty. This has the best chance to create a better cervicomental angle and some jawline definition.

I have a weak chin line and double chin, what would be the correct procedure?

From the photos presented, there is a weak and recessive mandible / chin projection, for which a chin implant can improve. Chin implants are placed through a small incision underneath the chin to give the required projection to help with facial balance and proportions. There also appears to be extensive fatty deposits in the neck above AND below the platysma muscle. A surgical neck lift can be performed with a platysma plasty to remove both compartments of fat. No skin tightening is required at age 29. For more information and many examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below

Chin and neck

jdvn1787, let me address my opinion concerning liposuction of the neck area. For the body liposuction makes perfect sense but in the neck (don't get me started on the face!) it is not ideal. Without the surgeon making a larger incision and actually seeing the 3D anatomy of the neck the tendency can be for the surgeon to over "suck" fat and give the patient a hollow and/or atrophic look which over time can become more obvious (since we tend to lose facial fat as we age). I much prefer what I call "open liposculpture" where I can visually assess the 3D anatomy of the neck, remove the offending fat and leave the good fat (yes some fat is actually good). This approach that I've developed over the past 25 years has yielded much more predictably good results that last over time and look natural. You could also use a chin implant. See more than one surgeon and choose physicians that specialize in facial aesthetics. Evaluate their photos, lots of them, ask questions and you’ll most likely end up with good results. See the video!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weak chin line and double chin,what would be the correct procedure?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak and there is excess fat in the neck.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  Liposuction and skin removal can be performed using the same incision under the chin.

Hope this helps.

Jawline and double chin

Based on your weight and BMI, losing more weight may only improve the jawline minimally.  When looking at your picture there are a couple of issues - the first being the weak chin and jawline.  On your profile picture, I'm concerned that you may have an overbite and this can be caused by a small jawbone.  Its hard to completely determine this without examining you in person (I'm sure you understand).  Not only can this cause issues with your appearance, but also with your bite (requiring braces and dental extractions when you are younger), but also with your sleep (leading to excessive snoring and sleep apnea).  I would suggest seeing an oral maxillofacial surgeon to be assessed and examined.  By treating the underlying issue, you will address your cosmetic concerns as well.

If you were to just be concerned with the weak chin, a chin implant can improve on this.  However, it may give you a deeper labiomental sulcus, which is of concern as this is not aesthetically pleasing.  Again, without examining you in person it is difficult to make a call on this but you would have to be conservative on your implant choice based on the pictures provided.  

As far as the double chin is concerned - some of this would be improved by addressing the jawline, but most would not.  You are young, so you are an excellent candidate for minimally invasive or non-invasive treatments such as kybella, microliposuction, or ThermiRF.  The key in determining what you would benefit most from would come from examining the position of your hyoid/thyroid cartilage, as well as the location of this tissue in respect to the platysma.

I know I just gave you a lot of information! Anyways, I hope some of this helped.  Best of luck! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon