I wonder if there is a way that I can treat my nasolabial folds with Voluma? (Photos)

I wonder if there is a way that I can treat my nasolabial folds with Voluma, injected right in the area of nasolabial folds, to give some volume so it can “disappear”. I have had Radiesse right trough my nlf, but after swelling, it just disappeared. Also, was injected on my upper cheeks and disappeared too. I have had Voluma on my upper cheeks after Radiesse and it stayed, that’s why I wonder if Voluma on my nlf would be an option.

No Voluma for Nasolabial Folds

One of the reasons that Voluma is ideal for the cheeks is that it provides a lot of volume. Which is exactly why it's not the right choice for the nasolabial folds. You run the risk of over plumping the lines and looking weird. Talk with your surgeon about possibly adding a bit more Voluma to your cheek for further lift and then filling in your nasolabial folds with a different filler. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma is used for mid cheek volume filling in my NYC practice

Although Voluma is usually injected in the mid face, off-label usage by doctors is done in temples, and even lower cheeks. The risk of injecting Voluma in the smile folds or marionette lines, is that it may fill the fold too much. It's lifting properties is greater than Juvederm , Restylane and Radiesse. This means that the marionette line or smile folds could swell too much and look like sausages.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. 

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma

Thank you for your question. Juvederm Voluma XC is the first facial filler to be approved by the FDA for the non-surgical treatment of the cheeks. It adds volume to the cheeks and mid-face and helps restore moisture to the skin's structure creating a healthy and youthful appearance that lasts up to 24 months. I suggest that you move forward by consulting in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

I wonder if there is a way that I can treat my nasolabial folds with Voluma?

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. I would first add a small additional amount of VOluma to your cheeks to fully correct your volume loss, then place some Juvederm Ultra Plus or Voluma directly into your nasolabial folds. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.    

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma for NLF

Voluma will be perfectly fine for this area. If you are concerned about longevity, you can consider using Bellafill, which is basically a permanent filler. It requires a skin test prior to placement. Don't think that Voluma will give you much longer than the other HA fillers because in my experience, it lasts just as long.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Voluma for the Nasolabial Fold

Hi and thanks for the question. Absolutely, Voluma can be injected safely and effectively into the nasolabial folds. I think that Voluma lasts for an average of about a year and a half there. You are a good candidate for a small amount - your folds are not very deep. I would suggest making sure that you have enough volume in the middle cheeks first because correcting the volume loss of the cheeks is critical to a natural, rejuvenated appearance and it will lessen the appearance of noticeable nasolabial folds. 

NLF and voluma

Dear Lory,

Thank you for your question. Voluma is an great filler, probably my favorite! You can definitely use voluma in the NLF (even though it is off label.)

Dr. Morgan

Morgan Rabach, MD

Voluma for the nasolabial fold

In my opinion, placement in the NLF creates an artificial result and sometimes imparts a simian like characteristic.  Sign of youth resides in the midface and midface augmentation when done appropriately will naturally cause the NLF to soften.  Sometimes when the folds are very deep, I may consider placement of filler in them but only after mid face volume augmentation has been optimized. Voluma is an excellent product and results can be wonderful especially when performed by a skilled injector.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Voluma can be placed into the deeper tissues in around the NLF to smooth the transition from your cheek into your upper lip.  As Voluma is a thicker, longer-lasting filler, be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in placement in this area to maximize results and minimize a poor outcome 

Voluma for Nasolabial Fold

I love Voluma and use it routinely for the nasolabial fold and chin as well as midface. You are 100 percent correct in that it will last longer. Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green