I had a Tummy tuck 11 month and not seeing the results I was expecting. Tummy is still swollen - I look like I'm pregnant.

Post Op Dissatisfaction

It isn't possible to comment meaningfully without pre/post photos unfortunately. Your best resource will probably be your Plastic Surgeon. I recommend that you visit them and let them know about your concerns.

All the best

Discuss results with surgeon

At this point after your tummy tuck, you should return to your surgeon to discuss your results. There could be several reasons why you still look swollen, and a discussion with your surgeon can help determine the most suitable course of action.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Tummy tuck and results

Without seeing pre and post-op photos, it is difficult to comment. Perhaps you have visceral fat that is causing it to bulge, or perhaps you muscles were not tightened?  Hard to say without seeing you or getting more info.

Swelling Period after Tummy Tuck

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

While there may always be an extensive period of swelling and other issues during healing you should never hesitate to contact your surgeon to have a follow-up for the area to be examined for proper healing. It would be best to schedule a visit right away to make sure your concerns can be handled safely. Good luck.

Not the expected results

Thanks for the question. It is very difficult to evaluate without seeing your results in person. Swelling is normally resolved by 11 months.  I would like to know what your abdomen looked like prior to surgery. Those with a protuberant abdomen prepped are likely to have some residual protuberance after surgery. Diastasis repair has limitations. You should speak directly with your plastic surgeon and discuss these concerns. 

Andrew M. Lofman, MD, FACS
Detroit Plastic Surgeon