I was severely burned by laser hair removal. (Photo)

I'm 2wks out after being burned and its itching badly. I want to know will I fully heal from this?

Laser burn from LHR

I'm sorry this has happened. This needs attention to get the best outcome. It is not healed and needs topical therapy currently. Hydrocortisone can help with itching. Biafine can help heal the wound. When closed, the would needs to have Retin A and hydroquinone to help minimize the scarring and pigmentation issues. This was obviously done wrong, either the wrong laser or the wrong settings were used. Only a 1064 YAG laser should be used with your skin type. 

Burns from Laser Hair Removal

While pigment changes, burns, and scarring are a possibility from any laser or light based treatment, most do heal.  The most important this is to take care of the wound while it is healing. As previously mention, a bland thick cream like Aquaphor mixed with a little Hydrocortisone 1% will help protect the skin and provide relief from the itching.  Ethnic skin has the greatest risk from laser based procedures even when proper settings are utilized.  It will take months to up to a year for this to heal and you may be left with residual hypopigmentation or lightening of the skin.  Make sure to use sunscreen on the area once the skin is healed and limit sun exposure.  ALso follow up with your provider periodically as you may need additional treatments down the line to minimize pigment changes

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Wound after laser hair removal

Thank you for your question love2boss. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Laser hair removal is a common treatment. Any skin type from fair to dark can be treated. However it is important to use the correct laser, because different lasers work best for different skin types. For dark skin types Nd:YAG is the safest, as it has the lowest risk of burns, blisters, hyperpigmentation, etc. More treatments are required for such skin types. Wound care includes application of an occlusive moisturizer such as Vaseline or Aquaphor. These can be greasy so I prefer to apply them on a slightly wet skin surface. For my patients who complain of itching I recommend hydrocortisone 1% cream twice daily. Healing from wounds can take time and hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation can result. Topical products and/or fractional laser resurfacing may address such changes. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician