I have a salivary gland tumor originating in the parotid gland on the left side of my face. Can I have a mini lift?

I am 51 yrs old and would like to have it removed, but I would like to have a mini face and neck left cause I am starting to notice my sagging skin on my jaw and neck line. I have insurance and they will pay to remove the parotid tumor. Please give me advice on how should I deal with this. I live in New York and would appreciate a referral to a doctor that preserve my facal nerve if I was to have surgrey.

Performing a facelift in the presence of a parotid tumor can be done; however, much depends on the pathology of the parotid tumor and its location within the gland.  Often the surgery is performed in "teams" with one surgeon removing the tumor and the other performing the facelift procedure.

Parotidectomy and Mini-Lift

As long as the parotid tumor is benign, it is possible to undergo a partial parotidectomy and a minilift during the same procedure. In most cases, the procedures would be performed by 2 different surgeons. An otolaryngologist/ENT/Head & Neck Surgeon would perform the parotidectomy and a facial plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon can perform the mini-lift. A surgeon who is dual board certified in both Head & Neck Surgery, as well as Facial Plastic Surgery could potentially do both for you. However, I would recommend seeking out someone who has significant expertise in parotidectomy and is well-versed in facial nerve dissection.

Sarmela Sunder, MD

Parotid Tumor and Mini Lift

Thank you for your question. The answer depends upon the nature of the tumor. If the tumor isn't benign or the pathology is in doubt then they may need to be performed separately. If benign the procedures can be performed together. This allows for one anesthetic and one recovery. It is likely that with the removal of the tumor you may have some volume loss on that side which can be addressed at a later date. Fillers are often an excellent option. The removal of a tumor is usually performed by a head an neck surgeon (ENT) and the Mini Facelift should be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon. Its important meet with both doctors to discuss the procedures in detail for each has potential complications and you should review them in depth.
Best of Luck
DrG

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Can be arranged

A dual procedure can be arranged.
However, there will be loss of volume from your salivary gland that will need to be replaced.

Mini-Facelift and Parotid Tumor Removal

It is possible to do both, I have done so in the past as long as the tumor is definitely benign.
I usually do the surgery in conjunction with a Head and Neck surgeon. It must be done in the hospital, I usually design and make the incision and dissect initially towards the parotid gland. The Head and Neck surgeon then performs the Parotidectomy, and then I finish the Mini-Facelift. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD