I cannot get rid of voluma?

i had two syringes of voluma placed with a ps 5 weeks ago. i didnt like the results. went to a derm to dissolve it. yesterday i had vitrase for the second time. i think a 200 vial. today i see no results whatsoever. the voluma is still all there (usually i see resulta on the 2nd day). i feel i will have to live with this thing forever? should i go back to the original physician in a week bc he knows exactly how deep he injected it?

You and your doctor may consider Hylenex vs your current Vitrase

Hylenex is a synthetic human derived product, whereas, Vitrase is animal derived.  Both have been shown to be effective and several injections may be required.

You wont have to live with result of Voluma forever because it is temporary.  The product dissipates naturally using your own body's hyaluronidase.

I always recommend going back to your original doctor.

Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dissolving Voluma

I am so sorry you do not like your Voluma results from your physician.
Going back to your original doctor is the best thing to do since he knows exactly where he put it and at what depth. Then he can inject the Vitrase accordingly to dissolve it successfully. Often times Vitrase injections are done in several steps so as not to empty out the area too much all at once and be back to square one.  Doing it in a gradual fashion is the best way to go. Be patient, you will get there !

Best wishes in your quest, 
Dr. Anna Petropoulos, 
Boston's North Shore

Anna Petropoulos, MD, FRCS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma not going away

I think your idea of returning to the original injector is excellent.  Voluma is thicker and more difficult to dissolve but your injector will definitely have a better sense of where to inject the vitrase.  Don't give up! It will get better.  Best of luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question in regards to Voluma. It is best to return to the provider who injected your Voluma. Voluma is a much thicker product and can take several visits to dissolve. It will naturally dissolve over time as well, because the product is not permanent. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

I'm sorry you're unhappy with your Voluma treatment.  You have the right idea in going back to your original injector.  He/She knows how much was injected and where and should be able to target those areas with the dissolving agent.  If for some reason it still does not work, the product does wear off over time, but in the case of Voluma it could be up to 2 years.  Best wishes to you.

Camille Cash, MD

Dissolving voluma

Dissolving voluma is much trickier than say, regular juvederm ultra or restylane.  It is a much thicker product and, as such, may require more than one trip to dissolve (with stronger concentrations per ml of hyaluronidase when compared to other products). Returning to your injector is always a good idea.  As has been stated before,  they know where and how they placed the product in your tissue.  Don't worry about it lasting forever - it is a hyaluronic acid product which has been tested to be present for up to 2 years at most. Best of luck.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma and Dissolving

Voluma is a great product but much thicker to dissolve than normal Juvederm.  You may have to return and have it dissolved several times.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Takes time

Voluma is extra thick and can be difficult to dissolve.
Continue pressure massage and your vitrase treatments.
The original doctor will have a better sense of where the Voluma was placed.

Vitrase after Voluma

In general, I would always recommend going back to the same physician who injected your Voluma (or other hyaluronic acid filler) to have it dissolved with hyaluronidase (Vitrase).  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to Dissolve Voluma

Hi Septembergirl,

You should go back to the original provider to get some more Vitrase. Since he/she would know exactly where they placed the product you're likely to get the best dissolving results from them. Voluma is FDA indicated to last up to 2 years, so you won't have to live with it forever, but even with Vitrase there will always be just a bit of product left, but nothing too noticeable.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician