I want to get rhinoplasty, but I have rosacea on my nose. Would the surgery make it worse-how likely is it to happen?

I am a 18 year old female, have had rosacea for 7 years, currently using topical ointments to treat on a daily basis.

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Possible rhinoplasty

Thanks for the question. I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need and want. Your condition doesn't affect the result of the surgery.Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty and rosacea

Tape and a cast is applied across the bridge of the nose for one week after the rhinoplasty procedure, which can irritate any pre-existing rosacea. Best to tell your dermatologist about this and get on medical management prior to a rhinoplasty surgery

This should not be a problem, the splint is not for long, when it comes off you should be able to resume your medications. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Rhinoplasty and rosacea

The rosacea may flare up after the rhinoplasty.  This will often subside as the swelling and healing progress. best of luck.

Hello and thank you for your question. I have performed rhinoplasty in patients with rosacea.  There may be a temporary flare after surgery, but this is controllable with medications.  You would need to coordinator care with the doctor/dermatologist who treats your rosacea.  In regards to the rhinoplasty, make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rosacea and Rhinoplasty

while a rhinoplasty can cause Rosacea to flare up, it will not do so on a permanent basis. Weeks to months of flare up may occur, which should be controllable with medications. The benefit of a rhinoplasty outweighs any issue of a temporary flare up. Your surgeon and dermatologist can coordinate.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon