I just resently got a breast reduction, I'm not happy with the results. How long does it take to start seeing the final results?

Seeing results from mammoplasty

Thank you very much for your question. Immediately after surgery, it will be too early to evaluate your breast reduction results. It takes four to six months for the residual swelling to resolve, and for the full benefits of surgery to become apparent. If, after six months, you should you be unhappy with the results of your breast reduction, consult with the operating surgeon to further discuss your options for revision.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. This is one of the most patient pleasing operations that we perform.  Generally, it is best to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed about 6 months post op.   Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.

Breast reduction

You wil have to give it 6  months or so to allow for the breasts to heal before considering a revision of any sort.

Breast reduction results

Breasts often take on a distorted appearance early after surgery due to swelling and soft tissue settling.  The best option for you is to allow your body to heal and wait for the breasts to take on their final appearance.  Because of the changes in scar tissue over time, it is also advisable to wait at least 6 months after surgery for a revision.  I recommend that you give yourself 6 months for the breasts to settle and for you to get used to your appearance.  Hopefully at that point you will feel better about your results.  If you are still unhappy, there a a lot of ways to adjust a breast, so you should re-visit your original surgeon to discuss options to make you happier with your appearance.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Results

There can be swelling and an unusual shape to the breasts and areola immediately after breast reduction. The scars are also initially highly conspicuous. It takes about 2 months before I will start to take post-op photos after a breast reduction, but really many appearance changes go on for a year after surgery.