I did my lipo about 3-4 weeks ago. Any suggestions?

My stomach, sides and back feel bumpy. Is that normal? I did get 10 lymphatic drainage massages. I do wear the lipo girdle everyday and take it off to sleep. Also not sure if I should get more massages or wait until it the internal bruises go down.

Healing process

The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#liposuction #drdeanvistnes #realself

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction

Liposuction leads to a lot of swelling and lumps might occur. Often these go away after the swelling subsides. Best of luck.

Liposuction

It is difficult to guide you without photos, but in general, the lumpiness is present after liposuction and can persist for a while as internal healing continues to occur. Massage helps as does compression garments. I recommend you follow-up with your surgeon for additional reassurance. Best wishes.

Post Liposuction

Hello!Thank you for your questions. At this stage of the recovery we do see in our patients lumps and bumps from the swelling your body is encountering. In our practice we have patients start massaging on their own around the 2nd week. This helps with adjusting to the new sensations and helps the patient become more comfortable with stimulation on the operated areas. We typically do not recommend starting lymphatic massages until the 4-6 week marker as most patients are uncomfortable to this degree of pressure. To much massage can cause additional inflammation in the tissues, making the lumps and bumps seem more pronounced. Recommendations would be wearing compression on the areas of surgery, light exercise, and gentle massage.
Wishing you the best!Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD, FACS