I had a hair transplant 6 years ago & have recently been dying my hair platinum blonde at the salon

that hair follicles once inserted from the back of my head were for life but my mother is being a total cow & says all that money you spent on the hair transplant and dying your hair ruins it, I keep it in REALLY good condition yet can it damage the follicles that were put in, I have seen no sign of this at all and love having white hair, any advice or help would be much appreciated as now I am worried she might be right but you guys are all experts and extremely smart so you would know,thanks x

Dyeing Hair Is Safe

Hair dye certainly can certainly affect the condition of the hair shaft, leading to damage and coarseness over time. But the follicle is perfectly resilient. Modern hair transplant techniques were created to allow people to cut, style, and even color their hair as they normally would. There's no evidence that repeated dyeing damages transplanted follicles in any way. I hope this settles the dispute between you and your mom!

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

You shouldn't call your mother a cow. If you have concerns about your hair transplant discuss it with your doctor.

You shouldn't call your mother a cow. If you have concerns about your hair transplant discuss it with your doctor.  Coloring your hair should be fine.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Dye hair after a hair transplant

Once the procedure has fully healed (2 months or so) you can dye your hair any color you want provided it is done by a professional who will not damage the hair in the process

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon