I feel like I have four labia minora, which I know seems impossible. Is it normal?

I have search all around the internet, and I have never come across anything remotley similer as my vulva. I have extra skin next to my labia minora on either side. It is completely seperate from my labia minora (and is actually longer than my actual labia minora), yet I do kinda feel its a part of the labia minora and I do not mean the labia majora. The extra skin starts next to the clitoris and goes al the way around the vaginal opening its kinda like 2 V shapes.

Labiaplasty candidate?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Is it normal to have extra skin next to the labia minora?

Dear Boompje,

Thank you for writing in with your interesting question.  It certainly would be helpful to have a photo of your anatomy to see exactly what your concerns are, but from what you describe, it sounds like you have extra rolls of clitoral hood skin.  These usually extend down on either side of the labia and connect to it on the lateral labial edge, and can be reduced leaving just the two labial folds.  Often extra hood rolls exist when the labia minora are enlarged.  So if you are interested in having the extra folds of clitoral skin reduced, then you need to seek out an experienced cosmetic-plastic gynecologist, uro-gynecologist or plastic surgeon who is trained in hoodoplasty as well as the various labiaplasty techniques, in case you also decide to reduce the inner labia minora.  A hoodoplasty can be done all by itself if that's all you want done.  You can read more about labia and hood reduction at the link below.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

​ Labiaplasty: A Personal Decision

Thank you for your question.  It is challenging to answer your question without photographs.  Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure that may improve one's confidence and resolve physical issues that one may have with enlarged labia minora.  Clitoral hood reduction may also be indicated depending on the findings on physical examination. Labiaplasty with and without clitoral hood reduction is a personal decision after being well educated on the benefits and risks. There are several techniques, which should be discussed with you by the surgeon, based on your findings and goals. I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon, which include cosmetic urologists, even if it involves traveling.   

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Labiaplasty

Having performed over 2000 labiaplasties, I am sure I have seen a variation like yours. A labiaplasty must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.  If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Likely a variant

There is a great variation in that which is considered normal "down there." Without images I can't give you more information as to what your situation might be.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

I feel like I have four labia minora. Is this normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and, though a photograph would offer better information, it sounds as if you have labial duplication or prepucial tissue folds that are accounting for your appearance.  This can be improved upon with the same surgical techniques as used in traditional labiaplasties.  Be sure to see a labiaplasty specialist in consultation in order to have the best treatment recommendation.  Hope this helps.

Labia Minora Reduplication

that's what you have and that's why the trim labiaplasty is a bad idea. It does nothing for those extra folds. The extended wedge will taper those folds in addition to the hood if needed (horseshoe labiaplasty) as well as labia minora of course. Be selective with your doc and ask them about what they are going to do to treat the inverted "V"...

OMG Am I a Martian?! Looks like I have a second pair of lips...

While of course a photo would be helpful, I know exactly what is going on, and NO-- you are not a "Martian!" What you have is prominent "prepucial fids." The "prepuce" on a woman, sort of like a man's prepuce or foreskin, are the far outer fods that sometimes form on the lateral portions of th clitoral hood and "stream down," sometimes so robust that they become as large as or larger than the actual labia. these "strands" then anchor into the outer portions of your labia maybe mid-way down or thereabouts. 

These are normal anatomic variants. Normal! No problem, you are not a witch. If they don't bother you, don't bother them!  HOWEVER, if they bug you, you will need a VERY GOOD, very experienced genital plastic & cosmetic surgeon to do your work.  This is the situation where a well-designed V-Y wedge will leave a fine result. The weblink below contains dozens of before & afters, several of which have anatomy such as yours (check it out.)

Best wishes!

I feel like I have four labia minora

Thank you for your post.  Without a pic it is a little harder to give an opinion, however, I think your description was good enough.

Redundant or duplicate labia minora is actually quite common and not abnormal.

It you are not experiencing pain or are not self conscious about it then there is no reason to  surgically modify your labias.  However, a labiaplasty minora would easily solve the issue if that is a concern and bother to you.

Best of luck.

You have normal labia minora

The extra tissue you describe is a reduplication of the labia minora. It's totally normal and very common. This tissue sometimes is larger than the true labia minora, but it's not a medical problem. It's treated aesthetically with standard techniques of clitoral hood contouring. However, it takes experience and skill to reduce this in a way that creates a natural and pleasing result. Reducing this area improperly is one of the most frequent causes of botched labiaplasty.