I would like to know do the Doctors tell you all the medicines pre op and post op that you need?

I see so many people using so many things. I would rather be safe and prepared. As far as pain medication I see people saying Tylenol, I know that will not work if I'm getting a tummy tuck, bbl and Lipo.

Thank you for your question. Medication will depend on the type on surgery that will be performed and the surgeon will prescrib the pain medication. 

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a review of your current medications and medical history. There are certain medications that should be stopped prior to your surgery to prevent complications. A list of medications to avoid should be provided by your plastic surgeon during your consultation or prior to the procedure. Main medications to avoid are anything with blood thinning properties. I would ask during your consultation for a list of these medications and your doctor will also provide you with the prescriptions that you need to get filled for your procedure. These usually include pain meds, antiobiotics, antinausea medication etc. Best of luck.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Scripts Tailored to Each Patient

The medications prescribed for surgery are influenced by the type of surgery and tailored to the needs of each patient. Typically for a TT, BBL, and Liposcuction our patients would get a prescription for an antibiotic, narcotic pain mediation, and muscle relaxer, however, this is highly variable. 

See the link below for information on BBL. 

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Medications before and after surgery

Hi and thanks for your question. Pain killers, vitamins, homones among others should be avoided at least two weeks before surgery in order to prevent bleeding or some other kind of complications. I usually give a long list of them to my patients. The post op depends on your surgeon  but pain should not be a big issue in your recovery time.

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Pre op and post op medications

Thank you for the question. The answer is yes!

Ideally your doctor should tell you what you need to avoid before surgery and prescribe for you what you need to take after surgery. This discussion is done during your pre op visit when you sign the informed consents. 

Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck question

Your doctor will review your current medications with you and prescribe appropriate postoperative medications as well. They will also review other medications that you should not start or take around the time of surgery.

Hello and thank you for your question. Your surgeon will prepare you with detailed instructions and medication prescriptions and recommendations.  Every surgeon has their own protocol for this.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question. Your surgeon will prescribe you all the medication that you will need after your procedure. you can take some additional pain relief with you just in case. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Each doctor may prescribe a different set of meds, so you are best to ask your surgeon specifically what he recommends.

Yes, Your surgeons office should be able to tell you during your consultation what medications would be prescribed to you as well as what medications are generally used during surgery if you care to know. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon