I have several chicken pox scars on the side of my face and a large indent above my right eyebrow from a childhood fall (Photo)

These make me self- conscious in certain light and I would like them removed. Any recommendations for scars of all sizes? I am especially insecure about the one above my right eyebrow.

Chicken Pox Scars Respond To Subcision Lifting Plus Fillers, & Fractional Microneedle Resurfacing

First, let me say how sorry I am that you are suffering from this. Second, I must emphasize that despite great advances in our scar treatment technologies over the years, we are still not able to completely eliminate mature scars(present for more than three months) from any cause, including those arising following chicken pox infections.

That having been said, there are fortunately a number of methods for improving depressed (atrophic) pox scars. Through the years I have found subcision lifting, a relatively inexpensive approach that  takes only minutes to perform, capable of providing relatively rapid and gratifying and long-term improvement.

Subcision, which is performed under local anesthetic,entails using a sharp needle-like device is first inserted to break up the scarred, heavily fibrotic tissue that makes up the base of the scar. Immediately following, a small amount of volumizing material is injected into the potential space just created by the prior procedure. An immediate lifting is seen and the area can be smoothed flush with the surface resulting in the immediate, gratifying improvement seen. The entire procedure takes no more than five minutes to perform, requires no scalpel cutting or stitches and entails no significant downtime. Iif necessary, either immediately following the subcision, or at a subsequent treatment session, a lifting filler, such as Restylane Lyft (which would be my choice in my Upper East Side Manhattan office) or Hyaluronica 2 (my choice for this in my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers are available) can be injected directly underneath. This not only results in immediate lift and smoothing, but itself also stimulates additional new, native collagen and elastic fiber synthesis four to eight weeks down the road. 

Fractional Microneedle Therapy (aka skin needling, medical microneedling or dermal rolling) can help to blend the surface of the scars, which often have textural and color abnormalities, with the surrounding normal skin.

Ablative laser treatments entail the risk of engendering scarring and in people of color also pose the  potential risk of resulting in permanent loss of pigmentation (hypopigmentation). So be wary of this. Fraxels are expensive and their results have been disappointing in my experience and appear far more backed by device manufacturer marketing hype than hard science. Likewise, microdermabrasion, like superficial peels, are unlikely to do much at all, since they are so superficial and don't get down to where the scars are located deep within the dermis. 

Consultation with a board certified aesthetic, core physician with extensive experience with these approaches is important. Best of luck to you.

Scars

Thank you for posting your question. CO2 laser, microdermabration, and fillers are all good options to blend your scars with surrounding skin. I recommend meeting with an experienced physician for an in-person consultation to decide which combination of options will work best for you. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chicken pox scars

Thank you for your question. I highly recommend a series of micro-needling treatments along with filler. Micro-needling has been a game-changer in treating acne/chicken pox scars and stretch marks. The needles are able to penetrate deep enough below the scar to stimulate collagen and fill in the depression. While this treatment alone will not achieve flush skin, there will be a significant improvement noted.  After this treatment, I like to use a very fine filler or silicone  to create a smooth appearance. 

Please feel free to contact my office with questions about the procedure.

Ariel Ostad MD PC 

Ariel Ostad, MD

Smooth it out!

I would suggest a combination of a fractional laser, and fillers. This will help smooth out the areas of concern. There area  variety of fillers on the market that can be used so please consult with a board certified physician to learn more. Good luck! 

Ellen A. Janetzke, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Chickenpox Scars on Face Needs Combination Therapy --- Subscision, Filler Such as Bellafill or Juvederm, Lasers

A combination approach would be best. I recommend a combination of lasers, subcision and bellafill filler injections. See an expert in facial scarring for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Deep Scars

A combination of fillers such as Bellafill and Restylane and subcision and lasers is the key to treating scars.  It will take time and is a process to treat these type of scars.  Best, Dr. Green