I had breast augmentation surgery and was wondering if it's possible to switch to a no wire full coverage bra during the day?

I had breast augmentation surgery last Monday and I have been wearing the bra that my doctor gave me 24x7 but I was wondering if it would be possible to switch to a no wire full coverage bra during the day.

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Bra post procedure

Thank you for your question.  Post operative breast augmentation instructions vary from one surgeon to another in this regard.  Best to follow the directions of your specific physician.  Best of luck.

Breast Augmentation Postop Instructions

You really should discuss all postop instructions with your surgeon. Personally, I ask my patients to wear the surgical bra for one month after surgery to keep the implants in good position. I do not recommend underwire bras for 6 months, because can affect implant pocket, but best to ask your surgeon.

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Types of Bras after your Breast Augmentation

You are asking about what type of bra you can wear after your breast augmentation. This is a question best reserved for your surgeon. You should follow the recommendations of the surgeon you chose to perform your surgery. 

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure; given that you have chosen your plastic surgeon, it is best to follow his/her "protocol" given that your plastic surgery knows what works best when it comes to achieving patient pleasing  outcomes in his/her practice.  Given your concerns however I would suggest that you ask him/her about his/her rationale.

Generally speaking, there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. 

In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin. 

Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the long term use of supportive bras after all types of breast surgery.  This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Bra after surgery

Specifics after your surgery is best discussed with your surgeon. Every surgeon is a bit different. Best of luck.

Breast augmentation postop

Ultimately, the only person who should be dictating your postoperative instructions and limitations is the surgeon who performs the procedure.  Only he/she knows your background, your specific case, the surgical maneuvers planned and performed, etc.  While we online consultants aim to help as much as possible, it is not appropriately that we be dictating any aspect of the postoperative care for a patient with whom we are not familiar, nor have even met.

Call your surgeon today and I'm sure he or she will be happy to review the details of your case and what kind of bra would be best for your situation.Best of luck!

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Bra after breast augmentation

Hello. I agree that the best advice is going to be from the surgeon treating you, but in my practice we avoid wire bras after surgery. I find that the wire can be painful on scars in the crease of the breast. I do not think your doctor would mind you wearing a full coverage bra without a wire, but best to check first. 

Renee Burke, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

It's good question best addressed to your Operating Surgeon. In our Practice we record to avoid underwire bra.  In the immediate post-op period we favor front opening bra which facilitates post-op evaluation of the operative sites

S/p breast augmentation

Your best bet is to discuss this directly with your surgeon. They know what they did at the time of surgery and what has worked most reliably in the past for them.