I am a 55 year old woman, should I have a full facelift or would fillers give me the refreshed look I am seeking?

I am 55 years old I would like my face to look youthful again. I feel I aged 20 years in the 6 years I was in an abusive relationship. I am now divorce and really would like to recapture those years the sadness took from me. I'm just not sure what procedure would benefit me best and give me the results I am looking for. Please help. Thank you.

Face lift for psychological recovery?

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• I am so very sorry that you were in an abusive relationship -
  • That is awful and I am glad you are free now.
  • Your thinking makes a lot of sense to get a fresh start
  • You have a lovely skin and a beautiful face.
  • A think a face lift would refresh you  -
  • I have done many face lifts on women coming out of circumstances like yours
  • What you need besides first rate surgery is a plastic surgeon who cares about you and whose staff is supportive as well. It's not just the surgery - it's the positive relationship.
  • So look for plastic surgeons near you - but don't be sold by pressure, bling or glitz - go with the experienced surgeon who in interested in you - not in impressing you.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Face lift for psychological recovery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

PROBABLY HOLD OFF ON FULL FACELIFT

These photos are not adequate for a reliable opinion.  I would have to touch and feel the tissues and evaluate the muscular tone and elasticity and neurological function.  But a few things i notice on these photographs. Your jawline is tight and uninterrupted.  You do not have a jowl folding over or extending down onto your neck.  I cannot see under your neck to see if there is splitting of your platysma, but the side view suggests you have an intact neck angle. you do not appear to have redundant submental fat or skin.  These are all things that a lower face and neck repair deal with.  Some conservative work in the midface and or lower lids with fillers and/or surgery might be reasonable, but a full face and neck may be over-kill.  Get three opinions and pick one you trust.

Luis Villar, MD, FACS

PROBABLY HOLD OFF ON FULL FACELIFT

Luis Villar, MD, FACS

Facelift Or Fillers?

Congratulations on ending the abusive relationship. I am glad to hear of this, and you should be proud that you are no longer living in fear and pain. As you see, stress can age us tremendously, and I'm sure those six years were extremely difficult for you. I do not feel it would be helpful for me to definitively direct you to have either fillers/Botox/laser vs. a facelift because I do not have enough information about you. I do not know what your expectations are. Some patients who have similar markers of the aging face are excited by what injectables and lasers can do, while others want what a facelift can provide. I would suggest that you would benefit most of all from a very detailed, educational in-office consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with years of experience on the face, not just the body. 

Facelift Or Fillers?

Full facelift and maybe filler for fat

It looks like you have some changes in the face that would be best treated with a full facelift and +/- fat grafting or fillers as well.  Good luck with your decision to move forward.

Full facelift and maybe filler for fat

A little bit of both

Thanks for your question. Glad your life is moving in the right direction. Looking at your photos you are a patient that could certainly get a nice improvement with filler in the smile lines, cheeks and under the eyes. The advantage of this technique is that it would be an in office procedure and require very little down time. The disadvantage is that they will last in the 1-2 year range. A facelift with fat transfer will give you the volume you need and also elevate the parts of the face that have sagged. It does requite more down time but has a profound effect that lasts 5-10 years. Visit with a qualified surgeon who performs a lot of facial rejuvenation and you can further the discussion. Hope that helps!

A little bit of both

About Facial Rejuvenation with Lite-lift™

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. The LiteLift™ is an innovative facelift developed by board-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Larry Nichter and myself which benefits many male patients. The goal of the #LiteLift is to provide a less invasive natural looking option for both men and women desiring to refresh their appearance with less downtime and risks. The LiteLift® is a “real” facelift, which does address the underlying muscle, tissue and overlying skin.
The technique requires limited incisions and takes a vertical lifting approach, in contrast to the traditional facelift, which requires extensive incisions and lifts or pulls the face towards the ears horizontally. The modern techniques used allow us to perform most LiteLift® procedures in the office under local anesthesia. Also, removing the risk of general anesthesia opens the door for more people to pursue facial surgery. All too often people do not move forward with undergoing the desires facelift surgery due to their overwhelming fear of the risks associated with general anesthesia.

This is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with stable skin elasticity, well-defined bone structure but showing early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™. All in all, Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient.

Should you have a facelift?

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a BBL Always insist on a board certified plastic surgeon.

Should you have a facelift?

See your surgeon

Fillers used in a liquid face lift procedure can be helpful; however, results will typically be more moderate than a face lift procedure.  Most filler procedures will not last as long as a face lift procedure, so that is another consideration.  A facelift procedure will provide more dramatic results that will last longer.  You need to see your plastic surgeon to determine which is best for you.  Best wishes on your new life!

See your surgeon

Facelift or Fillers?

Thank you for your question.  Congratulations on ending the abusive relationship.

A facelift and the use of fillers would both likely provide a benefit (and actually, a combination of a facelift with selective fat grafting may be an even better option).  I recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options.  For patients who are "on the fence", I often recommend doing fillers first to see how you like it, as there isn't really any downtime, the risks are minimal, and the cost is much less.

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Facelift or Fillers?

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Facelift or Fillers for a refreshed look

Hello.  Thank you for your question.  I am so sorry to here about the years that you spent in an abusive relationship.  Living through a toxic relationship can certainly take a toll on a person in so many ways.  I can certainly understand how you would want to look and feel better, now that you are getting a fresh new start.  You still look great for your age.  With regards to advising you on fillers versus facelift, I think that there would be be benefits to each for you.  A facelift can help to tighten the neck and jawline, while fillers or fat transfer can help restore youthful volume to the midface.  They actually complement each other.  I would suggest that you seek a consultation with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience and expertise in facial rejuvenation to allow them to assess your individual anatomy, concerns, and goals, in order to determine the best treatment plan for you.  I wish you the best in achieving your aesthetic goals.