I am 21. I have pores around my nose area. Can I have Fractional CO2 laser at this age?

I need to reduce my pore size please help.

CO2 laser and pore size

CO2 laser is great for general skin maintenance as well as specifically for reducing fine lines and wrinkles, acne scars, 'sun spots' and some skin tightening. I do see improvement in pore size in my patients that undergo regular CO2 treatments. A picture will be helpful to further evaluate your problems, however, in general, its a great treatment for skin rejuvenation. 

CO2 laser

Hi and thank you for your question. Without a picture, it is impossible to make a recommendation as to what the best and safest treatment for your problem would be. In general, there isn't a set age limit for fractional CO2. However, being the gold standard for ablative resurfacing of the skin, it is generally reserved for people with more extensive damage or skin irregularities, not to say that it couldn't be used for someone younger who would benefit from the treatment. More important than age, would be your skin type. CO2 can lead to post-inflammatory hyper and hypopigmentation in patients with darker skin, so it is very important to seek a board certified physician with experience in CO2 lasers. For patients who are not candidates for CO2, there are other non-ablative lasers effective at minimizing the appearance of pores. At our practice, we also use Fraxel Dual and Nd:YAG 1064 nm lasers to treat pores. I would also add that anyone with "enlarged pores" should be on a topical retinoid, first and foremost.

Sophia V. Mai, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist