I am 21. I've heard that it's not safe to have breast augmentation before getting pregnant. Is it true?

Breast Augmentation is safe

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, breast augmentation before pregnancy is absolutely safe.

Implants and pregnanacy

I perform many implants on patients before they have become pregnant.  It is a very safe procedure. Best of luck.

Breast augmentation and pregnancy

Breast augmentation prior to pregnancy is perfectly safe. However its impossible to determine prior to pregnancy and breast feeding just how your breasts will respond.  Many women find that their breasts sag after pregnancy and breast feeding and they elect to undergo a revision surgery with new implants to restore their natural perkiness and fullness once they have finished having children.  Others are happy with their breast size and position after pregnancy.  Whatever your breasts do in terms of size change, stretch and possible deflation and sag during pregnancy and breast feeding, will happen regardless of whether you have breast implants or not.  Many women are able to successfully breast feed after breast surgery.  So if pregnancy is something you are considering in the near future you should consider your options carefully.

Breast aug before children

It is safe to have breast augmentation surgery prior to having children. The implant will stay the same during and after pregnancy but your own breast tissue will change around it. Hope this helps, Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

It is safe to have breast implants before pregnancy

Thank you for the question. It is safe and widely accepted to have breast augmentation surgery with implants before pregnancy. 
Hormonal changes during pregnancy can change your breast size and some women may require revision surgery. Implants are also safe during breast feeding. 

Good luck with your decision.
Dr. Khuth

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

You may have breast augmentation either before or after pregnancy.

Beverly Hills, CA

BBA and pregnancy

Breast augmentation is a safe way to enhance your breast size. Pregnancy will change your breasts and may require a revision surgery. Please schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options. Best wishes! 

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation before pregnancy

Thank you for your question.  Breast augmentation is safe before pregnancy.  There is no effect on pregnancy itself, and breastfeeding is also safe with either saline or silicone implants.  Anesthetics can pose a danger to a developing fetus, so a pregnancy test is standard to make sure you aren't pregnant at the time of surgery.
Breasts can change after pregnancy and breastfeeding (regardless of whether you have an implant), so if you are thinking of becoming pregnant in the near future you may consider delaying surgery until afterward to get the most lasting and durable results possible.

Daniel Suver, MD
Anchorage Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation before pregnancy is safe..

hi, VMprofile.  Breast augmentation is safe before and after pregnancy.  Implant is not dangerous to your body or fetus.  If you have breast augmentation prior to pregnancy, there is a chance that you may need revision breast augmentation or breast lift afterwards.  Please consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to learn about your options, risks, benefits, and alternatives.  Best wishes.

Pregnancy and breast augmenation

There are many myths surrounding breast augmentation.  May women become pregnant, and breast feed after having breast augmentation.  It is safe to become pregnant with breast implants.  The implants will not affect you or your child, though the shape of your breasts may change after lactation.

Atul Kesarwani, MD, FRCSC