I am 10 days post op, this appeared this morning. Is it the start of skin necrosis? (Photo)

I have no fever no pain I'm doing pretty well. Don't smoke never have. The only mistake I think I made was wearing a waist trainer for added compression support. Not sure if this is reg bruising or early necrosis. I've been following Dr's orders precisely. I've been mostly resting this time no showers and taking it easy. I've seen some really bad healing pics and I'm trying not to panic. Dr is wonderful and answers all texts, calls. But in your opinion?

Post op care

Hello, this does not look like skin necrosis. Probably just a bruise. You can ask your surgeon about maybe decreasing the degree of compression on the garment you are wearing. You should definitely follow up with your surgeon. Good luck!

Possible wound problems

Thank you for your question and photographs. Congratulations on having a tummy tuck procedure. 

Your concerns are  certainly valid. The area under the dressing just above the scar line appears to have a ring of pigmentation. This would probably be visualised  a lot better if the steristrips were removed.

Healing problems can happen due to issues with circulation but these may affect either superficial or deeper tissues. 

I would inspect the area after removing all dressings and then closely follow it through. Frequently it is only the surface layers which are involved or their is marked bruising in the area. This may not require any further intervention.

However if the problem is deeper than it may need to be addressed in a surgical manner. 

The key is to get it reviewed by your PS and then wait and watch if any issues come up.

Sanjay Azad, MS, FRCSEd
Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

PostOp

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo this does not appear to be skin necrosis.  It may be a small amount of ecchymosis underneath the epidermis.  It is hard to tell without an in person examination but it does not appear to be anything concerning.  I would certainly followup with your operative surgeon just to be safe.

James Shoukas, MD
Lake Mary Plastic Surgeon