I had hyaluronic acid injected to my nasolabial folds yesterday. Is this normal? (photos)

I had hyaluronic acid injected to my nasolabial folds yesterday, it looks like in the photos like something long thick wire underneath my skin, its so scary. Is it normal or? Will it get better if yes when? I`m afraid that there is something wrong. What can I do? Thank you very much indeed!

Hyaluronic Acid and the Nasolabial folds

It appears that there is product injected very superficially.  It is concerning to me and I would definitely return to your treating physician for examination.  Please keep us posted.  Best, Dr. Green

See your surgeon

I would definitely advise you to schedule an in person meeting with your surgeon to discuss your issues. Based on just your photo, your swelling looks unusual and it's always best to err on the side of caution. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Filler

The best person to help you is your treating physician. I suggest you see them in person or see another board certified surgeon or physician in your area. An in-person evaluation is needed to adequately evaluate your situation and options.

The foregoing information provided is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.
You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Hyaluronic acid injected into Nasolabial folds

It appears that you have a lot of swelling in the area. I think if you have any concerns, it is important to return to your doctor and have them take a look at the area. In general, I tell my patients that they should not be able to visibly see the product placed. They may feel some lumps in the first couple of weeks, but these should resolve with time. If the product is actually visible, my suggestion, is they may need to dissolve it so that it is not visible. In general, we are not placing product as frequently in the nasalabial folds, I find you can get a better result by placing the product in the cheeks, and which in turn lifts the folds and makes them less prominent. 

Cheryl Perlis, MD, FACOG
Lake Bluff OB/GYN

Hyaluronic acid

It is not typical for one to be able to see a hyaluronic acid externally. They are typically injected deeper or in finer amounts to avoid external visibility. The nasolabial fold is a deeper fold that requires injection into the subcutaneous tissue and not right under or into the skin. It may improve with massage and time. If it does not, it can be dissolved with hyaluronidase. Call your injector and discuss this with them.

Lumps or lines after HA

I think the product needs to be massaged. It also looks as though you are bruising. I would call your physician and let them know that you are experiencing this.  I would not recommend trying to massage it yourself, but if they can not see you right away, you can try to massage it by squeezing your NLF from inside and outside of your mouth along the NLF.  For the bruising, I recommend getting the bruise treated with a laser at your doctor's office and using arnica.
Dr. Quenby Erickson

Can be fixed

I see to issues her- the first is bruising which will resolve in about 7-10 days.  The second is that right now the area appears to be overfilled.  This may resolve in a few days to a week if there is some underlying inflammation, but if it does not, your injector can get rid of it by using a product called hyaluronidase which will eat up the filler within 24 hours of treatment.  Good luck!

Karen S. Harkaway, MD
Moorestown Dermatologic Surgeon

Nasolabial fold filler

Once I inject the product I mold it to make sure it is smooth so that what you see in your photos does not occur. Best to ask your injector how to proceed.