Hollow eyes, how to fix it. (photos)

I have very high check bones, which cause my under eyes to look hollow. I look tired all the time. What can I do to fix this?

Doctor Answers 8


Difficult to see any problems on the available photos. The malar area is the most projecting part of the midface skeleton. It is what we consider the "cheekbone." Prominent malar bones are considered attractive. Hence, the malar area is frequently augmented with implants. Oftentimes, a deficiency in cheek prominence is part of a more generalized deficiency in the midface skeleton. For that reason, malar (cheek) implants are often used in combination with other implants - most frequently, with infraorbital rim implants, which build up the area directly beneath the eye.

Boston Plastic Surgeon
3.7 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Eyelid Surgery

Thank you for your question. Hydraulic acid fillers can decrease the hollowness of the eyes by adding volume, however, this non-surgical procedure is temporary. You may be a candidate for eyelid surgery as you age. Please consult in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 117 reviews

Fixing Under Eye Hollows

Although hard to tell from just the pictures, it appears that you could use a filler like Voluma to the hollows. Because this area is prone to problems, make sure you see an experienced expert injector. (See ExpertInjector.org)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

A little filler will go a long way!

From your photos, I can appreciate what you see. There is some slight hollowing directly above your cheeks. A conservative amount of dermal filler, such as Restylane or Belotero, would be helpful to add volume in this area and improve the appearance of your eyelids. However, I will stress that you require a small amount of filler, and that you should avoid excess filling in this area, as you simply do not need it.Good luck!

Henry Lee, MD
Warren Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Under eye hollowness

It is difficult to make a recommendation without seeing you in person but the condition that seem to be present in the photograph is related to the volume loss and muscle that closes the eye.  In some people this muscle becomes enlarged which can create an under eye "roll" and wrinkles when one smiles. This can be treated with fillers and botulinum toxins but it's a very delicate area and these are off label treatments. I would seek out an oculofacial plastic surgeon with experience in this area.  Best of luck, I hope that's helpful.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 66 reviews

Under Eye Hollow

I would suggest filler to the under eye area combined with botox to relax the crows feet..  In my experience this can give a very natural result for young patient with your issues.  Good Luck.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Your eyes are beautiful, so less is more.

I strongly advise you not to have surgery.  You will regret that decision.  You can have very carefully placed under eye fillers with a profound benefit for this little issue.  The key is finding the right injector.  I have patients who fly in to see me from Dubai, London, and NYC.  That means they can't find the right injector where they live.  Choose carefully.  The results are worth it.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Under eye hollows/tear troughs

Hello! Typically hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane is used to improve the contour of hollows under the eyes. It is temporary but relatively long lasting (typically about a year -or more in many people) and can be "dissolved" if you find you do not like it. It is important to find an experienced injector for this area though. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.