Will High Profile Silicone Implants make my breast look fake?

I'm getting an augmentation in 2.5 weeks and my surgeon said she will insert a 450cc implant that is high profile and round. I don't have any breast tissue, I'm barely an "A" so I'm afraid that my breast will look fake and like they are just sitting on my chest. . 450cc looked pretty proportional and very natural but I used anatomical sizers. . Will I have natural looking results? Or will they look fake?

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Given your concerns/questions, I would suggest that you spend additional time (as much as necessary to make sure that you are both on the same page) communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "fake look" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Fake

Using 450cc high profile implants when starting with an A cup will make your breasts look fake. If that is the look you are going for, then great! High profile implants look very round in the upper breast, but they also can look very beautiful. If you are looking for a subtle change and a soft upper breast shape, then you don't have the right implants. If you are looking to go up 2 and a half cup sizes and have full round breasts then you've made the perfect decision!

Big implants in a petite patient

Yes - I think your tissues will tend to look very tight and round, because you are petite, have little breast tissue, and your surgeon is suggesting a generous implant.  If you are trying for a natural look, I would reconsider this plan.

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

#breastaugmentation
#findingtherightsize
#BA

Natural results

Natural results are more likely when the smaller implants are used and there is more breast tissue coverage.

High profile

This is a great question and a concern that many patients express.  You are correct in that the risk for visibility of the implant is greater with larger implants and  less native breast tissue. In this instance, the implant is playing a much larger role in the overall shape and size of the breast.   However, if you have a narrow chest and want to obtain a certain size, you may have limited options.  You could consider an anatomic shaped implant.  By definition, it should have a more natural shape as compared to a round implant, but you will have less fullness of the upper breast.  As others have stated, the choice of implants depends on your chest width, desired size, native breast tissue, and overall aesthetic goals. Another option may be to fat graft in a second stage to add thickness to the breast tissue if implant visibility is an issue after surgery.   It is very important to discuss these issues with your chosen board certified plastic surgeon before surgery to be sure you are both on the same page.  This will optimize your chances for a great result that makes you happy.  Good luck.  

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

What look are you aiming for?

Focus on the look not the cc or cup size. Patient's often regret decisions based on extraneous factors as you may end up with suboptimal result. Bra's vary from store to store, and cc's mean nothing in isolation. You should be measured during your consult and offered implants within a 5mm window of those measurements in multiple styles. For what's its worth, in my experience a dimensionally sound mod+ profile tends to go from an A+/B- to the magical full C or small D. A high profile (or SRF) would be about 100ccs larger to maintain the same base width and more like a Full D but VS will call it a DD or DDD, particularly in a 32-34. Ultimately, try on the different styles and look in the mirror. When you see the look you like, pick that style! This requires a consult, exam, measurements and sizing with a board certified plastic surgeon. My patients select the implant style and their chest dimensions dictate the number of cc's. I make specific recommendations to each and every of the augmentation patients I see annually based on: 1) dimensional planning 2) expressed goals 3) amount and quality of tissue to hide the implant. I have included a link with my explanation of the different implants and what to expect from your consult as well as hundreds of before and after photos to see what change implants of a particular size deliver. Best of luck. #drfeldman #BancroftFeldman #breastaugmentation #sugarland #HoustonTX