How do I heal a burn scar caused by retinol cream? (photos)

I was prescribed retinol by my dermatologist a few weeks ago to treat acne. I tried the treatment regimen, but noticed one day that my skin was in pain. I quickly washed off the retinol cream, put some aloe moisturizer on my skin and went to bed. The next day, I woke up to a painful red scar which darkened to black over time. How do I get rid of this ugly mark on my skin? This has been here for a month now.

Dark burn scars and Plato's Scar Serum

Dark burn scars respond well to a combination of Plato's Scar Serum and Melarase PM to help smooth color. Fractional lasers may also help.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Thank you for posting your question. For hyperpigmented scars like yours, hydroquinone cream can help lighten the color and blend them into surrounding skin. Also remember to apply sunscreen on your face as sun exposure can worsen pigmentation.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon