Do I have a hanging columella? (Photo)

Do I having hanging columella that I should fix? The tip of My nose has been bothering me for a while? When I smile my nose gets pointy and I bet self conscience about pictures. I also don't love my profile but otherwise I like the sale of my nose . I don't want to have a full nose job and undergo major surgery, would removing my hanging columella make a big difference?

What makes a nose hang

Many issues with the nose can have several different underlying causes. In many instances perceived issues are an illusion based on a problem with an adjacent area of the nose. The tip and columella are both areas which are prone to this kind of multifactorial concern.

In your case, your tip is not hanging. The depressor septi muscle may pull your tp down when smiling. That can be cut during surgery. Your main problem is a downward sloping nostril rim, which results from cartilage that is angled too high towards the side of the nostril. My suggestion is to have a tip plasty where the infratip lobule is flattened to reduce fullness on the front view and slightly raise the tip defining point. The tip should be slightly narrowed with suture modification, and have Alar rim graphs placed on both sides to flatten out the nostril contour. Also a nostril reduction may help in rounding out the shape of the nostril when viewed on profile. 

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hanging cilumella

Unfortunately. to see a noticeable improvement, tip rhinoplasty is what is needed in your case. The major issue is caused by the robust lower lateral cartilages. Anything less,  will leave you with a feeling of discontent after spending money. Best.

Zakir Sabry MD

Do I Have a Hanging Columella?

Your columella is slightly hanging but lifting it will not make a significant difference unless you also refine your wide, full tip. Consult with a rninoplasty specialist to discuss your options.

Columella hanging

I do not think that you have a hanging columella in your photo.  Although the photo is not ideal. Best to be evaluated in person. You tip at least in the photo appears low.

Hanging columella

Though your columella can be trimmed, I do not think you have much of a hanging columella. There is perhaps a role of reducing your alar cartilages (the fullness seen on the front view). I would suggest seeing an experienced Plastic Surgeon who can examine you and also explore what exactly you are looking for.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Columellar- plasty for hanging columella

The hanging columella consists of extra skin and cartilage and can be trimmed back when it is hanging down below the nostrils. A columellar-plasty can be performed as a stand-alone procedure, or as part of a full rhinoplasty.  We still recommend a columellar-plasty performed under a brief general anesthetic for patient safety and comfort. For many examples, please see the link and video below

Hanging columella?

Dear Hawaii,

You may have a slightly hanging columella.  Alternatively, your nostril rim may be too high.  I would recommend a consultation with an American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified plastic surgeon for a discussion of your options.  Good luck!