Is it possible to use the hair on my back as donor for a beard transplant?

Could my back and shoulders serve as donor area for a beard transplant or would it leave marks or scars?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. The transplant transplanted is always taken from your Donor area whıch ıs the back side of your head. . In the first step; your hairs will be shaved in order to obtain the hair follicles effectively. In some cases there is no need to shave the hairs. After obtaining the hair follicles, they will be classified into subunits and counted. The channels in order to place the hair roots will be created at the second step in a proper angle. At the third step the hair roots will be placed into these channels. You will be awake during the whole operation meaning that you can watch TV, read a book etc. You will be able to eat and drink during the operation.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

It is possible to use your body hair such as your back hair for donor hair supply but it is generally impractical

It is possible to use your body hair such as your back hair for donor hair supply but it is generally impractical and it may not give you the desire results.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Beard Hairtransplant

Normally Hair from the back of your head will be a good donor area.  Back and shoulder hairs are thinner and with darker skin patient, some hypopigmentation might be noticeable.

Alan Liu, MD
Taiwan Hair Restoration Surgeon

Back as a donor area for beard transplant

Yes it is possible, but it is not optimal. Any transplant can grow in another site, but it is important to find hairs with the best thickness and character match so that the result looks natural. Also, FUE could leave faint marks from extraction which could be visible on the back whereas they are almost never visible on the back of the scalp due to the surrounding hair.

Sachin S. Parikh, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Beard transplant

Hair from the back of your scalp works well for a beard transplant unless is is very fine and your beard hair is coarse. If the later is the case, using beard hair from under the chin works well,

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon