Do you think I have gynecomastia or just fat on my breast area? (Photo)

Do you think I have gynocamastia or just fat on my breast area? How much would surgery cost?

About Gynecomastia and Costs

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have breast enlargement and you think you are an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. A board certified Plastic Surgeon will recommend the best one suited for you during a one-on-one, in-person consultation.

#Surgery quotes should include the procedure itself, operating room facilities, anesthesia fees, surgeon’s fees, medical tests, post-surgery garments, prescription medication and other related costs. Most plastic surgery offices offer convenient finance plans that allow patients to pay a low monthly payment.
Costs will also vary with geographic location. Estimated costs can be found here on RealSelf.com, PlasticSurgery.org or Surgery.org.

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question and pictures.  To obtain an accurate diagnosis I would recommend an evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if it is truly gynecomastia.  If so, the surgery is performed on an outpatient basis.  An incision is made at the areola border and the gland as well as liposuction are performed at that time.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Do you think I have gynecomastia or just fat on my breast area?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction may also be helpful.

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many "variables" involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/ experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider ... are some of the potential available involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well.

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferable speak / see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. you will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different "specializes" who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revision surgery may be more costly in many ways.

Gynecomastia; fat or gland

You probably have some of both fat and gland.   The approach to this is to liposuction both areas  and see what you have left.   A little bit of gland is a normal thing and need not to be removed.   If there is a large glandular component, that can then be directly removed with surgery. My Best,  Dr Commons

Gynecomastia

There are people that would look at this and say it's perfectly normal. If it bothers you enough it deserves a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who does this kind of thing regularly. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon