Do I have gynecomastia? (Photo)

Diagnosis of gynecomastia

You appear muscular and in shape -- yet there may still be some small amount of excess tissue that bothers you or you would not have posed this question.  I cannot tell from the one photo you have posted.  If you wish to check it out, then consider a consultation.

My practicce sub-specialty is treatment of gynecomastia.  You can read much more about it on my website (captioned below).

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
NEw York City

Who is a Gynecomastia Surgery Candidate

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.
According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast #enlargement.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you.
The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

What is gynecomastia?

GYNECOMASTIA = Breast Enlargement in Men, below are some basic information to know about the procedure and if it is for you:
Gynecomastia or breast enlargement in men can be corrected by a variety of plastic surgical techniques. This condition often creates a psychological poor self perception and many males of all ages do not take their shirts off because of this stigma. Candidates are men who have over-developed or enlarged breasts which may occur as the result of hormonal changes or hereditary conditions.
Candidates are healthy men, whose condition cannot be corrected through exercise, weight reduction or other non-surgical treatments. Appropriate preconditions for surgery are the stabilization of breast development (no further breast enlargement) and localized areas of excess breast tissue and fat.
Intended Result
The procedure intends to reduce the breast size and redundant breast tissue to enhance the contours of the chest. The surgery often reduces physical discomfort associated with the area, as well as physiological and emotional dissatisfaction with the area.
Procedure Description
General, Intravenous or local anesthesia are used for this procedure depending on the severity and type of procedure(s) selected by your plastic surgeon. It is performed on an outpatient basis. For males with very large breasts staged procedures (more than one procedure) may be required. For example, the first procedure may be liposuction, then several weeks to months later after skin contraction has occurred, a separate procedure is done to remove excess skin. By doing a staged procedure, often the final scars are less.
Oftentimes, specific types of liposuction cannulas are used and often in conjunction with direct removal of excess breast glandular tissue through small incisions for mild to moderate gynecomastia. Other specific techniques can reduce the areola when needed or reposition the nipple to create the appearance of a more natural contour.

Do I have Gynecomastia?

Thank you for your question. It appears that you have a well-defined chest with normal breast/pectoral muscle shape, however an in-person exam with a board certified Plastic Surgeon will be the best way to find out.

An excess growth of breast tissue and herniated/puffy areolas cannot be reduced with weight/fat loss. Gynecomastia affects all shapes and sizes of men- slim ones as well. The surgical techniques used to address this can be quite simple and relatively minor. I recommend that you book your in-person consultation with a Plastic Surgeon who specialises in this procedure and find out about your options.

All the best

Gynecomastia

Thank you for the question and photo but it is impossible to say what is bothering you from the one photo alone so see some experts in your area and be evaluated.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Do I have gynecomastia?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction may also be helpful.
My best suggestion:  if your chest wall is still of concern, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.
You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best
wishes.

Gynecomastia

It appears from your pictures that you are quite muscular and it is difficult to diagnose gynecomastia from you photos. You may have some glandular tissue and probably will change very little with exercise or weight changes. It is not usually a serious medical condition, but if you are concerned about the appearance I would recommend that you seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Gynecomastia

You are quite muscular and the photo shows no obvious gynecomastia.  A physical exam would be important to see whether or not there is extra glandular tissue that could be removed.

Bruce E. Genter, MD, FACS
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

I think an evaluation in person is key.  You may have some glandular tissue or it may be fat tissue. Sometimes liposuction alone can do the "trick."

Gynecomastia

I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, your photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD