How is gynecomastia surgery with liposuction performed?

Hello, I'm thinking about getting gynecomastia surgery with liposuction and was wondering how the procedure is performed, are the glands taken out before liposuction or after?

Surgical Options Available to Treat Gynecomastia

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Gynecomastia

Thank you for the question and gynecomastia can be breast tissue, breast tissue mixed with fat or fat (pseudogynecomastia). In the first two instances excision is performed under direct vision but if it is fat alone then liposuction alone can be done.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.

In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction surgery may also be helpful.

You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

I usually prefer direct excision rather than liposuction

Although liposuction can help with fat removal, with the male chest, i find that the fullness that men hate is usually due to both fat and fibrous and glandular tissue. Liposuction often will not get the dramatic change that men want, so i do the vast majority of my gynecomastia cases in the OR and utilize a small incision in the lower half of the areolar to excise all the tissue. this gives a huge improvement.
drains are required but they come in about 3-7 days.

see a board certified Plastic surgeon.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi Specop,
Thanks for the post. If you're chest has excess glandular tissue then liposuction will not work for this. It would need to be directly excised. Liposuction would only work if your issue is primarily fatty tissue. I recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Liposuction and chest

If your chest is mainly fatty in nature, then liposuction alone can be successful. If you have glandular tissue, then it may need to be directly excised.

Gynecomastia surgery

for many patients, the prominent portion of this surgery is done with liposuction. i prefer to use ultrasonic lipo, but it's not HOW the surgery is done, it's who is doing it that is most important. few people would ask their carpenter which tools they will be using....it's the result that really matters! go to someone with great referrals and lots of good looking results on their website and / or in photos at the office.   good luck and best wishes.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Minimal scar is a gimmick for using liposuction only,which is not effective in most cases

How should I choose a surgeon? Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully.
The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection. 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering? 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?

Mordcai Blau, MD

Ask your doctor

Have an in person consulation and discuss the surgery with the doctor. Each of us has our own techniques and way of doing the procedure. I usually suction first and then if there is a prominent gland, resect it through a small incision.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Treatment of gynecomastia in New York

I have performed thousands of minimal scar gynecomastia operations -- most of which involve aggressive liposuction (using instruments that I personally designed for this procedure) as well as direct excision of any remaining gland.  The procedure takes 60-90 minutes and is performed under sedation anesthesia on an ambulatory basis.

I have an entire website devoted to gynecomastia, with information, photos, FAQs, etc.  Check it out at the link below -- most of your questions will be answered there.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
New York City
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia