Gynecomastia surgery this past Friday, is the fluid build up normal?

I'm wrapped up with padding and an ace bandage around my chest and wearing my compression shirt. The skin above the bandage definitely has fluid underneath of it. So my entire upper chest. Is that normal?

Fluid Build up Following Gynecomastia Surgery

A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Fluid build up with Gynecomastia Surgery

It sounds like your compression is appropriate.  You may have fluid above your compression but we as plastic surgeons place compression where we have liposuctioned.  This needs evaluation by your plastic surgeon.

Any such problem right after surgery should prompt a call to your surgeon

if you think something is wrong in the first few days after surgery, you need to call your surgeon promptly.....for this situation or for virtually any other surgery for that matter. we are all supposed to be available for problems 24/7 or have someone else covering.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Fluid

Thanks for the question. While swelling is normal, fluid is not. This could represent a hematoma (blood) or a seroma (the serum of blood). I would contact your surgeon as he/she may need to drain the fluid. Good luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon