Would I be a good candidate for breast reduction?

Hi! I'm 27, 5'3" about 150 lbs and have 34E/F breasts. I have idiopathic high blood pressure that is well-controled and other than that, I'm healthy. I have an almost constant rash between my breasts that typically spreads to underneath when it's hot out as well. Twice in the past few years, I've pulled muscles in my neck that required medication from my PCP. Would I be a good candidate for a breast reduction right now, or does it make more sense to first see a physical therapist or chiropractor first?

Breast Reduction | Reduction Mammoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. Pictures would be helpful.

Yes, you may be a good candidate for breast reduction. The timing of when you might want to do that is up to you.

To be sure what might be the best choice for you, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

Breast reduction

You may very well be a candidate for a breast reduction. It may or may not help your neck and rashes.  If you are looking for insurance to cover this, you will have to see what their requirements are for getting approval. Best of luck.

There are several factors that determine if someone is a good candidate for a breast reduction.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help you understand what your options are.  Best wishes.  

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question. As outlined in previous posts, there are a  number of variables to address.  Ultimately, your consultation with a surgeon will help to determine the appropriate procedure and how much to remove in order to achieve your goals.  Symptoms of macromastia are typically improved with therapy and/or chiropractor maneuvers, but ultimately persistent symptoms often require a breast reduction.  If you wish to have your procedure covered by insurance, I would call your insurance company to find out who participates in your region and what the requirements are for approval along with copays etc.  Some insurance companies require failed non-surgical treatments prior to surgical approval.  The exact requirements will depend on your insurance company and region of care.
Once you have the appropriate info, consult with a plastic surgeon.  They will outline with you options and timing for surgery.  They will evaluate whether you are a surgical candidate, and if your expectations are reasonable. The physical exam during your consultation is important for surgeons to predict the volume of removal in your case.  Hopefully you will meet the requirements of your insurance company. Good luck

Thank you for the question. I am sorry to hear about the problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing; based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. “Official” recommendations of course would necessitate in-person consultation.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance.  unfortunately, online consultants will not be able to help you  when it comes to predicting whether your specific policy will cover the procedure, or not.  A phone call to the insurance company may be a good place to start. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.

This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.  Also, when it comes to dealing with health insurance companies, it may pay to be persistent. It will also be important that you communicate your goals with breast reduction surgery carefully; discussing goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size can be a source of miscommunication and/or disappointment. In my practice, I find the use of goal pictures helpful.

When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.