Glasses and exercise?

I'm getting very different feedback from my doc than what I am seeing from others on realself. Had rhino w osteomies, tip work & cartilage graft done on 9/20. Doc said it was ok to start exercising 2 wks post? That it's ok to wear my glasses already? I did not receive a lot of post op instructions. I've been texting him since day 2 for info. Post op I received a very vague set of aftercare instructions. Results look great- but concerned w his advice. Help?

Post-op care after rhinoplasty

I prefer that patients take it easy for a while. I allow most patients to go back to light exercise within about 3-4 weeks. I tell them to avoid glasses on the bridge for about 6 weeks. They can tape them to their forehead starting about 2 weeks post so that there is no undue pressure on the nose.

Rhinoplasty

If you still have a splint on then it is fine to wear your glasses. If the splint is removed, then after 4 weeks it is okay to resume wearing glasses. I would recommend wearing contacts instead if you have them and if not, then taping the bridge of the nose so the pads do not cause indents and taking your glasses off every 30 mins to give the bridge of your nose a rest. Light exercise is okay to resume after two weeks but I would refrain from any strenous exercises or contact sports for at least 6 weeks. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Glasses and exercise?

I am sorry you are not getting good aftercare instructions.  When you see your surgeon, express your concerns.  As for glasses, I show my patients how to tape their glasses to the forehead with paper tape to avoid the weight on the bridge.  Light exercise is good 2 weeks after surgery, but not heavy activity in the gym.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD