Can you keep doing Fraxel Restore treatments forever?

Is Fraxel Restore still effective once you've done it 6-7 times? I am considering a second round of Fraxel Restore after a six month break, but am skeptical if doing another 5-6 treatments will actually improve my acne scarring, or if I need to try something more aggressive for results. I have asian skin so I am skeptical about doing anything more aggressive for fear of PIH. Thanks

Fraxel Restore maintenance

Given your skin type, you are absolutely correct, there is always an increased risk of PIH with a fractionated CO2 laser, which would be the next most aggressive laser for acne scars. If you haven't had any PIH with the fraxel restore, I would stick with it. There was a study where 3 fraxel restore treatments were done and compared to the results of one fractionated CO2 treatment for acne scars. Results showed the fraxel restore treatments were just as effective if not more. I don't see a harm to doing maintenance fraxel restore treatments over the years, as we continue to age and our collagen turnover capacity continues to lessen. I have many patients that do this and it maintains the quality of the skin.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel in Asian patients

Fraxel is a great laser for treating acne scars. Asian skin is the some of the most delicate skin and  you need a different laser to treat some of those deeper scars.  Please consult a board certified laser about your different options including fillers and the eMatrix laser.  Please consult a dermatologist who is an expert in Asian skin for the best cosmetic results.

Fraxel

Hi,

Since you have taken a break and you are still experiencing scarring, it may be best to consult your physician and discuss your options. Generally, the average person only needs about 5 treatments to rid acne scars but it is quite possible that you may need more treatments at lower frequency to remove all scarring. Your physician will create a customized plan with you based on your skin type and condition to determine how aggressive each Fraxel treatment should be. There can always be a slight risk for PIH when using any kind of electromagnetic device, but with lower frequency Fraxel is it highly unlikely.

Dr. Ariel Ostad

Ariel Ostad, MD